1. Updated — July 10, 7 p.m. ET
2. A multiple-hour standoff ended Wednesday night with the arrest of a man believed to have shot and killed six people, including four children. A seventh victim was wounded.
According to USA Today, Deputy Thomas Gilliland said there were “two hours of constant talking with a man armed with a pistol to his head and who had just killed six people.”
3. Police say Ronald Lee Haskell, 33, was booked on capital murder charges. In court on Thursday, prosecutors said Haskell tied up the victims, placed them face down, and shot them each in the head execution style.
“He came to this location yesterday afternoon…and came under the guise of a FedEx driver wearing a FedEx shirt,” said Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Ron Hickman.
According to detectives, Haskell knocked on the front door of the home and when a 15-year-old girl answered, he asked for the parents. He left after she said they were not home.
He came back a short while later and asked her again for her parents, according to investigators. This time he told her his name and she recognized him as her ex-uncle. He kicked the door in after she tried to close it on him, according to detectives
“(He) gathered up the children that were here and awaited the arrival of the parents. Sometime later the victims were shot in this residence, and we now learned that Mr. Haskell was married to a relative of the residents of this home,” said Hickman, according to USA Today.
Haskell apparently demanded to know the location and whereabouts of his estranged wife, who lives out of state and was not present at the time of the shooting.
4. Police called the shooting a “horrific situation.”
An initial investigation indicated the shooting stemmed from some sort of family breakup, Hickman said shortly after the standoff ended. He did not provide additional details, though ABC 13 reported earlier that the survivor told police the shooter was a family member and that he planned to go a restaurant to kill another relative. The Associated Press described the impetus behind the shooting as a “domestic dispute.”
The 15-year-old girl and a child were both airlifted after the shooting, but the child later died, the AP reported.
5. The shooting took place in Spring, a housing development outside of Houston, early Wednesday evening.
Police are seen outside the Spring, Texas, home (above) where the shooting took place.
Deputies first got a call about the shooting about 6 p.m. When they arrived, they found two adults and three children dead. At some point after the shooting, the suspect fled the scene and led police on a chase a few miles away, into another neighborhood, reported KHOU.
8. The suspect finally left his car and surrended just before 11 p.m. CT, after about three hours.
10. Police credit the lone survivor, the 15-year-old girl, with saving lives. Even though she was shot, she managed to call 911 and alert police that the shooter had said he was going to find and kill her grandparents. She remains in critical condition.
Patti Beller prays Thursday, July 10, 2014, in Spring, Texas, outside the home that was the scene of the shooting the night before.
11. Haskell previously lived in Utah and had a series of run-ins with the law.
Haskell was jailed in a city north of Salt Lake City in 2008 on suspicion of assault and domestic violence, the AP reports. He also had a protective order taken out against him last year by his ex-wife. Haskell reportedly still lived in Utah last fall, when his sister-in-law visited to the state to help his wife leave the marriage and start a new life in Texas.
- Republicans have breathed new life into their once dead Obamacare replacement and it may be enough to get the bill through the House.
- People are calling the Trump administration's new "criminal alien" hotline to report how they've been victimized by space aliens 👽☎️
- Sebastian Gorka couldn't make it as a national security expert in Hungary, but that's not stopping him from advising President Trump.
- Chipotle is finally adding dessert to its menu and cinnamon, honey, and caramel butter dipping sauce will be involved 😋