1. Updated — May 27, 12:15 p.m. ET
2. Three people are still missing after a mudslide — estimated to be a half-mile wide, 2 to 3 miles long, and 250 feet at its deepest level — swept through Mesa County in western Colorado on Sunday night, according to the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department.
The three people, Clancy Nichols, 51, a county road and bridge employee; his son Danny, 24; and Wes Hawkins, 46, have been missing since Sunday after the ridge collapsed. They had driven to the location of a smaller mudslide that had happened earlier in the day, according to officials. They were inspecting a problem with the irrigation system on the mountain.
“We’ve had a lot of things happen here, but this is just horrific,” lifelong Collbran, Colo., resident Susie Nichols told the Denver Post.
The search has been put on hold for now because the area is too unstable. At the edges, the mud is 20 to 30 feet deep, and in the center it’s believed to be several hundred feet deep.
4. “I think what you’re looking at is the new terrain of that valley,” a Mesa County sheriff said. “It’s an understatement to say that it was massive.”
6. Heavy rains are said to have contributed to the severity of the mudslide.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A former "Apprentice" contestant has filed a lawsuit against Trump for calling her a liar over sexual assault allegations.
- Birth control startups are seeing a spike in demand because many women are nervous coverage under Obamacare will disappear.
- You can now dig through the CIA's secret history. 12 millions declassified docs are on the internet for all to see 🤓📚