1. FIFA has promised its disciplinary committee will investigate photos on social media that appear to be German fans wearing blackface and posing for pictures during Saturday’s Germany versus Ghana match.
Instagram user selma_slim, who is at the World Cup, uploaded the picture on Saturday with the caption: “So far I’ve counted 8 Germans in black face. Worst, people are lining up to take pictures with them. Poor form, #Germany. #racism #racists #worldcup”
This isn’t the first time in this summer’s World Cup that discrimination has been an issue. This past week, reports came in of Mexican fans chanting anti-gay slurs during matches against Cameroon and Brazil. A man also rushed the field during the same Germany and Ghana match with a reported neo-Nazi message painted on his chest.
2. A FIFA spokesperson said any evidence of discrimination or racism would be considered by its disciplinary committee under FIFA’s “zero tolerance rules.”
“We always take any evidence or submissions to our disciplinary committee. It is the disciplinary committee that will meet,” she said, The Guardian reports. “If they see any grounds they will open proceedings. Then it is up to the disciplinary commission to take the decision.”
3. FIFA’s strict rules surrounding racism and discrimination are highlighted in the FIFA Disciplinary Code. Teams and/or fans found guilty can face punishment of “suspension or expulsion.”
Article 3 of the FIFA Statutes reads:
Discrimination of any kind against a Country, private person or group of people on account of race, skin colour, ethnic, national or social origin, gender, language, religion, political opinion or any other opinion, wealth, birth or any other status, sexual orientation or any other reason is strictly prohibited and punishable by suspension or expulsion.
- Donald Trump claims Google's search engine was biased in burying bad news about his rival Hillary Clinton.
- A teenager was taken into custody Wednesday after he shot two students and one teacher at an elementary school in South Carolina.
- "Hamilton" pulled back the curtain on race and Broadway, but these actors show how far theater still has to go 🎭