3. The smooth, egg-shaped product costs $2.99 and has become a cult favorite among beauty bloggers and teens alike. The brand has a whopping 1.3 million followers on Instagram.
The lip balm has been around since 2009, and has positioned itself to become one of the most ubiquitous products in women’s lives in just a few short years.
5. But despite these claims, several women have been speaking up about what they say are their negative experiences with the lip balm. They claim they have suffered blisters, rashes, and allergic reactions.
6. And now, a class-action lawsuit has been filed by criminal defense lawyer Mark Geragos against the company.
Geragos’s client, Rachael Cronin, claims in the lawsuit that the product gave her severe rashes, bleeding, blistering, and cracking on her mouth.
She is asking for damages and demanding corrective advertising in the lawsuit.
7. According to court documents, Cronin’s lips became “substantially dry and coarse … [and] began severely cracking on the edges, causing flaking and bleeding from the cracks.”
“By the next day, Ms. Cronin’s lips and surrounding skin area had severe blistering and rashes causing her to seek medical care…” the lawsuit states. “Ms. Cronin was in severe shock and panic. Ms. Cronin’s condition consisted for approximately 10 days.”
12. Beauty blogger Monica Robo of Monica Loves Makeup, for example, wrote about her experience with EOS on her blog. She said it took a “good month or two to completely heal up.”
“I’m probably like everyone else because I loved EOS lip balms,” Robo writes in her post, “My EOS Lip Balms Are Going in the Trash.” “However, a couple months ago I started to get VERY chapped lips. Of course, I kept applying EOS because I thought it would make it better. Not only were my lips chapped, but I had a lot of dryness around my mouth as well. I stopped using my EOS balms and used Vaseline instead.”
13. And customers have also taken to the EOS Facebook page to make direct complaints and warn about the product’s alleged side effects.
“Never use these!!! I was using them all the time last fall because my lips were majorly cracked and it just made it worse. If your [sic] going to use anything for cracked lips use Vaseline,” the above commenter writes.
UPDATE: In a statement to BuzzFeed Life, a representative for Evolution Of Smooth products said the following:
“We firmly believe this lawsuit is without merit. Our products are made with the highest quality ingredients and meet or exceed all safety and quality standards set out by our industry and validated by rigorous testing conducted by an independent lab. The health and well-being of our customers is our top priority and millions of satisfied customers use our products every day, many of whom take the time to share their experiences with us.”
- President Obama has ordered a full review of hacking related to the 2016 election. Officials have alleged Russia used the hacks to interfere with the election.
- Trump's cabinet fills out: He's reportedly tapped a Washington state Congresswoman for interior secretary and Goldman Sachs's president for a key economic position.
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has apologized for negligence after lawmakers impeached her over a corruption scandal.
- In dream jobs: Everyone loves a guy on YouTube going around London reviewing chicken shops 🍗