back to top
Food

15 Kitchen Disasters That Will Make You Say "Damn, Son"

Rule #1: Never leave anything on a burner.

Posted on

We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community to share their worst fails in the kitchen. These are their stories.

1. "My mother wanted to make the cake filling for my grandma's birthday cake but then the mixer kind of exploded. Days after it still smelled like vanilla pudding and whipped cream."

—f4145cefc6
f4145cefc6 / Via buzzfeed.com

2. "My husband thought he could put the crock pot in the oven because the lid has glass but what he forgot was the handle was made out of plastic."

— Bleachedsky32
Bleachedsky32 / Via buzzfeed.com

3. "I just wanted a cup of coffee."

—torteena
torteena / Via buzzfeed.com

4. "When I was eight I decided to make cupcakes but accidentally swapped the sugar and the flour quantities. My brother then dared me to eat them so I did and threw up constantly for the next two days."

—faerlie1414
faerlie1414 / Via buzzfeed.com

5. "I smelled burning one day and came downstairs go see burnt hard boiled eggs with my genius roommate passed out on the couch."

"Don’t do drugs kids!" —LiaJMezzo
LiaJMezzo / Via buzzfeed.com

"Don’t do drugs kids!" —LiaJMezzo

6. "I forgot how close my rice cooker was to a pot of boiling water for sweet potatoes and well…"

—kpaloma
kpaloma / Via buzzfeed.com

kpaloma

7. "I accidentally pushed ‘pulse’ while making a smoothie while the lid was off. Go me!"

—evvandev
evvandev / Via buzzfeed.com

8. "Oops…"

—samanthak4d311ce46
samanthak4d311ce46 / Via buzzfeed.com

9. "I was making a stir-fry and I placed the blue plastic bag of frozen chicken breast strips on a very hot burner and left it there. For a while."

"There was burning, and a little smoke but most of the chicken was saved once I realized how stupid I was. Surprisingly, once the burner was no longer hot, most of the blue plastic came right off. Not my best kitchen moment…" —laceyorgan21
laceyorgan21 / Via buzzfeed.com

"There was burning, and a little smoke but most of the chicken was saved once I realized how stupid I was. Surprisingly, once the burner was no longer hot, most of the blue plastic came right off. Not my best kitchen moment…" —laceyorgan21

10. "I had a binder full of recipes that I was consulting while attempting to make homemade yogurt. There was this really odd smell but I thought nothing of it because I’m a moron, until there was smoke billowing up from the binder. I turned on the wrong electric burner and the plastic melted completely to the metal!"

"I threw open the windows to get rid of the awful burnt smell and once the burner was cooled down I took it to the rental office. They gave me the most bizarre looks as I explained my need to put in a work order, and they basically laughed me out of the place." —jennyp4b17105ef
jennyp4b17105ef / Via buzzfeed.com

"I threw open the windows to get rid of the awful burnt smell and once the burner was cooled down I took it to the rental office. They gave me the most bizarre looks as I explained my need to put in a work order, and they basically laughed me out of the place." —jennyp4b17105ef

11. "In middle school, my teacher had these corn dogs that you could buy. She left the room and my friend and I bought a corn dog and put it in the microwave. This was a weird microwave and we didn’t quite understand it. My friend put 30 minutes instead of three."

"We were chilling and all of a sudden we smelled smoke and started screaming. Then the fire alarms for the room started to go off, then the ones for the whole school. We agreed to never speak of it again." —jxsticekk
jxsticekk / Via buzzfeed.com

"We were chilling and all of a sudden we smelled smoke and started screaming. Then the fire alarms for the room started to go off, then the ones for the whole school. We agreed to never speak of it again." —jxsticekk

12. "I turned on the wrong burner on my mom’s stove…"

—michelem14
michelem14 / Via buzzfeed.com

13. "We were in a hotel and we thought pans weren't included so we stupidly decided to use a glass bowl to cook ramen noodles instead…"

—valerien48ab2102d
valerien48ab2102d / Via buzzfeed.com

14. "I gave my brother the task of making dinner before I fell asleep watching Scandal. I woke up three hours later and it smelled horrible. I went downstairs and he was asleep on the couch. This is why you don’t let your 11-year-old brother 'cook' dinner."

—samaria5
samaria5 / Via buzzfeed.com

15. "I’m not a bad cook, but this pizza on the grill was a massive fail!"

"Hubby still offered to eat it." —jen34hart
jen34hart / Via buzzfeed.com

"Hubby still offered to eat it." —jen34hart

Want to be featured on BuzzFeed? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter!

Top trending videos

Watch more BuzzFeed Video Caret right

Top trending videos

Watch more BuzzFeed Video Caret right
The best things at three price points