A poorly hidden secret of fashion magazines is that advertisers rule their editorial pages. If you wonder why the same brands or products are featured month in and month out, it’s not because they’re necessarily interesting or effective, it’s because they dish out a ton of money for ad space and employ aggressive publicists who will remind editors as such.
Last month I did a skincare story for a national magazine and a few of the products I originally wrote about were swapped out for big-budget brands. I was angry when I saw the issue because I knew a woman from Kentucky or Kansas would read the story, buy the products, and then quickly learn that they didn’t work. It’s a growing frustration among consumers, but unfortunately, that’s the industry. Don’t expect it to change any time soon.
Products often don’t win awards without corporate bias either. In 2011 Halle Berry’s Pure Orchid perfume won a Fifi award in the Broad Appeal category (Coty, Inc.) and Clinique’s Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector won a CEW award in the Anti-Aging Prestige category (Estee Lauder). Neither were the best in their categories, in my opinion.
Many beauty products that don’t win awards and don’t have a tremendous ad budget and at times don’t get a lot of press. So, here’s a list of ten of my favorite products from niche brands that are worth your cash.
6. Byredo Parfums in Seven Veils
The fragrance market is saturated with generic scents marketed by celebutantes merely looking to expand their brand. But Byredo is made by hand — as great perfume should be — in Sweden. With this, you won’t smell like every other woman on the street. From $145.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘