Here Are 14 More Totally Unbelievable Things People Actually Said To Pregnant Women
"I said that my back hurt, and my husband's uncle responded, 'Maybe next time you'll swallow!'"
1. "Six months into my first pregnancy, I told my husband's aunt that my back hurt and I still had morning sickness, and his uncle looked me dead in the eye and said, 'Maybe next time you'll swallow!'"
2. "A male coworker asked me 'how' I was going to have my baby. When I asked for clarification, he said, 'Like, from your vagina?' And it was loud enough for the whole office to hear."
—Lindsey Benes, Facebook
3. "I was eight months pregnant and working in retail when a gentleman approached me, put his hand on my bump, and said, 'Thank you so much for keeping it.'"
4. "I'm currently pregnant with my second daughter, and I've lost track of the number of people who've said, 'What a shame — but you can always try for a boy next time!' or 'Your husband must be disappointed!' Um, he's actually over the moon that our baby is healthy."
5. "Some guy told me that no man would ever take a second look at me again after this. I was a week away from my due date and already feeling like shit."
—Maria Gillard, Facebook
6. "I was seven months pregnant when a male customer where I work said, 'Let's see that belly.' So I stepped back from the counter so he could see it. But then he said, 'No, now lift your shirt.' I said, 'That's enough,' and made him leave, and he didn't understand why."
7. "A doctor told me not to 'fall pregnant,' because it would be the worst thing I ever did. I was already pregnant and actually there to see him about it."
—Krystal Kay, Facebook
8. "The lady who drew my blood at my OBGYN's office a few weeks ago asked me how my hyperemesis was going because the last girl she'd seen who had hyperemesis lost her baby at a late stage of pregnancy. So now I'll be paranoid for the next three months."
9. "My mother was pregnant at the same time as a lot of other women at her company. Well, she told her boss the exciting news and joked, 'We might have to open up a daycare!' And he replied, 'More like an abortion clinic.'"
10. "A customer offered to help me deliver my baby if I went into labor at work. I didn't know if I should be thankful or freaked out that some strange man offered his 'services.'"
—Karrington Bostick, Facebook
11. "I was about five months pregnant when a coworker I'd never spoken to before told me to stop eating so much. I had just come back from a hospital visit due to dehydration."
"It's crazy how pregnant women are seen as free game for criticism, when most of us have probably never felt so vulnerable."
12. "An old woman approached me when I was pregnant and said, 'If you're not pregnant, you need to lose weight. If you are, I want to touch your belly.'"
13. "I'm seven months pregnant, and my husband said, 'You don't even look pregnant. Sometimes you just look fat.' I had told him that I felt huge, and this was his way of making me feel better."
14. "I'm not pregnant, but I turn 40 years old this year, and have been told twice that I'm too old to have kids. Thanks — but I don't remember asking you."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.