We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about the time their kid saw a ghost, and yep, their responses — along with some reader comments — are as chilling as you thought they'd be:
1. "My husband's grandmother, 'Mamaire,' absolutely adored our first daughter. She passed away when our daughter was just 9 months old, so our daughter doesn't remember her. But a few years after she died, our daughter started talking about a 'babysitter' who took care of her at night. We didn't really think anything of it, until one day when we saw a picture in her baby book of Mamaire holding her and she yelled, 'That's my babysitter! She visits me every night!'"
2. "When I was a child, I was often awakened at night by a bald man crouching in the corner of my room. He was holding a knife covered in blood, and mumbling about 'killing them all.' My parents and sister never saw him, but they did tell me that the previous owners of our house had all either died or committed suicide there."
3. "My mom and her siblings grew up in a 100-year-old house, and they said they’d always see a ‘green lady’ standing next to the linen closet or peeking in their rooms at night when they were supposed to be sleeping. Well, it wasn't until years later — after my grandfather died — that my grandmother admitted that she had always seen a 'green girl' around the house too. My grandfather died when he sleepwalked and fell down the stairs in the middle of the night, and my grandmother said she thinks the 'green girl' scared him into falling."
"10 years later I still won’t sleep at that house."
4. "When my daughter was 3 years old, she started telling us that she was being woken up in the night by a man who kept tickling her feet. But she said it didn’t scare her because he was always smiling. We figured she was just dreaming until we came across an old picture of my grandparents on their wedding day and my daughter pointed at my grandfather and said, ‘That’s him! That’s the man who tickles my feet!’ My grandfather passed away when I was 6."
5. "I was babysitting my friend's toddler who was playing in her room and talking to herself while I made dinner. I didn't pay it any mind until I heard her say, 'I said, 'STOP!' So I went to check on her and asked who she was talking to. She calmly pointed at the AC vent and said, 'The family who lives in the vents. The little boy is bothering me.'"
6. "When I was a kid, I would always see a nice man in our yard waving to me and checking out the fruit trees in our garden, but no one else saw him. Later I found out that the man who lived in our house before us died while taking a nap in his favorite spot in the yard...which overlooked his garden."
7. "One day I overheard my daughter — who was alone in the playroom — say to someone, 'OK, I'll draw you. But I need to find the red. You have blood in your hair.'"
8. "My grandmother passed away when my mom was 17, and my mom told me that once when I was 2 or 3, I kept talking to the empty seat next to my car seat in the car. When my mom asked me who I was talking to, I called her by her first name and said, 'Granny loves you.' My mom started crying and I didn't know why."
9. "When I was about 5, I would always run down the hall into my parents' bed, terrified of the man talking to me from under my bed. I never saw him, but I would hear him saying things, and somehow I knew he was wearing a raincoat and holding a lantern of some type. Well, when we moved out of the house, my dad was packing up framed photos, and I saw one of his dad — who had passed away before I was born — from his time in the Navy. I told him, 'That's the man that talks to me from under my bed,' and I've never seen my dad so nervous."
"Apparently in the Navy, my grandfather often worked wearing rain gear and carrying lanterns for when it was dark on the boat."
10. "We live in a home in which a 103-year-old man died, and my 3-year-old daughter is constantly talking into the mirrors around the house. When I ask who she's talking to, she always answers, 'The neighbor.'"
11. "When my daughter was about 18-months old, we moved into an apartment building that was almost 100 years old. Well, one day my daughter was playing and singing 'Ring Around the Rosie' when she stopped dead in her tracks, pointed to the corner of the room, and yelled, 'Mommy, pick me up!' After that, she would refuse to go into any room alone."
12. "When my son was a toddler, he had a rocking chair in his bedroom, and he was really afraid of it. He kept talking about 'the boy' in his chair. Then one day I saw him waving to someone outside my bedroom window. When I asked who he was waving to, he said, 'The boy. He wants me to come play.' Well, we finally got rid of the rocking chair, and shortly thereafter found out that a little boy drowned behind our house a very long time ago. I guess he wanted to play with my son."
13. "Once, my son asked me, 'Who's that at the window?' We were on the second floor."
14. "When my sister was 4 years old, she was babysat by a family friend who lost her husband, Paul, suddenly before my sister was born. My sister had never heard about him before. But one day, our babysitter heard my sister laughing and playing alone in the basement playroom. She called out to my sister and asked who she was talking to. So my sister came upstairs and said, 'Paul was downstairs. He says hi, and that he's OK.'"
—Steph Allen, Facebook
15. "When I was a kid, I used to play for hours with someone I thought was an imaginary friend only I could see. One day, my mom asked who I was talking to, and I told her my brother. She turned white and left the room. When I said the same thing to my dad, he got really mad and sternly told me to NEVER do that again. And I never saw my 'brother' again after that. Well, fast-forward 10 years later, when I was snooping through the family bible, I found an entry showing that I did indeed have a brother. He died a year before I was born."
16. "I had just moved into a new house with my 4-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter, and I went into their room one night while they were asleep to find something. Well, on my way out, I saw my son sitting straight up in his bed in a daze. He said, 'Momma, who are all those kids?' I responded, 'What kids?' And he said, 'All those kids behind you!'"
17. "We had just moved into a new duplex when my 3-year-old daughter out of nowhere said, 'There's a bad man.' I asked her where, and she pointed to the attic door and said, 'There.'"
"We lived there for two years, and I’m still convinced it was haunted."
18. "Once my little sister told me there was a monster in her room, so I checked under her bed and assured her she was safe. But then she pointed at a blank spot on the wall and said, 'Then why is there a man in the wall looking at us?' And to make matters worse, our usually very calm dog suddenly started barking and growling at that very spot, and continued to do so every time he went in her room after that. I didn't sleep for weeks."
19. "We were house-hunting, and we toured a house with a big backyard with a detached garage. After we left, I asked my son what he thought of the house. He said simply, 'We can't live there. There are ghosts screaming in the yard.'"
20. "Ever since my little brother could talk, he would tell us about a man he calls 'Scary,' who stands in the corner of his room when the lights are off. Well, once we were looking through an old photo album, and my brother pointed to a picture of my great-grandfather — who he has never seen or met — and said, 'Look, it's Scary!'"
21. "We moved into our duplex when my daughter was 2 years old. She already had a few imaginary friends named 'Honey' and 'Buzza Buzza,' so we weren't surprised when she added a new one — an old lady named 'Mollin' — to the mix as soon as we moved in. Whenever I talked about her, my daughter would tell me that I was saying her name wrong. But I couldn't quite understand her pronunciation..."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.