34 People Shared The Most Insulting Thing Their Boss Has Ever Said To Them, And I. AM. SHOCKED.
"I once had a boss who said to me, 'If only your brain was as big as your boobs!'"
Not too long ago, we published a series of posts sharing the most insulting things people's bosses have ever said to them (see them here and here), and they were wildly infuriating. Here are some of the "bad boss" stories our readers shared in the comments section, along with some of the most unbelievable responses from the original posts:
1. "I'm a G cup, and once my boss said to me, 'If only your brain was as big as your boobs!' The whole bar went silent."
2. "I'd recently had a miscarriage, and when I got back to work — after only one day off — I was called into my boss's office and asked if I was going to try to get pregnant again, because they needed to plan for any future miscarriages I would have!"
—Pamela Smith Edwards, Facebook
3. "I was working as a bakery manager for a gas station, and my shift started at 4:30 a.m. with me getting the station's breakfast ready. Well, I clocked in one morning five minutes late, and my boss said, 'You know, there are plenty of jobs you can get lying on your back.' I clocked out, went home, and filed a complaint."
4. "My boss tried to convince me to cover a shift on the day of my grandmother's funeral by saying, 'She would have wanted you to work this shift.'"
—Kerri Rene, Facebook
5. "My boss told me that I couldn’t take sick days to take care of my foster children — you know — because they weren’t my 'real children.'"
7. "I was eating a banana at my desk, and my boss stopped by to tell me that women should never eat bananas at work, and that if we absolutely insist on eating one, we should break it into pieces instead of eating it 'banana-style.' Because penises."
8. "Once when I was trying to share an idea with my boss for how he could improve his deli, he said, 'I don't pay you to think; I pay you from the neck down.'"
—Christine Marie, Facebook
9. "My old boss told me that I would make an amazing secretary for my looks alone. I'm a systems analyst."
10. "My boss was watching me learn a task for the first time and said, 'If you were any slower, you'd be going back in time.'"
11. "When I was 16 years old, I worked at a fast-food restaurant. One day, I was on my knees trying to fix something when my manager walked in to give the new staff members a tour and said, 'A typical woman — always on her knees.'"
"I was a shy kid, and I never said anything to anyone about it as to not cause any trouble, but after I quit that job, I heard that he got suspended for inappropriate comments to other women. I wish so much that I had the confidence back then to report him!"
12. "I'm very allergic to nuts, and a colleague was eating trail mix near me. My cheeks became red and warm, so I took a Benadryl, and while I was waiting for it to kick in, my boss's boss said, 'You know that nobody takes you seriously when you look like a clown, right?'"
13. "My coworker's mother-in-law was very ill, so she called in to request the day off to take care of her, and my ex-boss told her to 'save the day off' for when her mother-in-law died."
—Anye Chao, Facebook
14. "I had a manager who once asked if I was available to work Sunday or if I go to church. I said that I don't go to church and can come in early, and he asked if I was a non-believer. When I said yes, he said, 'I won't judge you...but God will.'"
15. "'You are great at your job, but you are not pretty enough to think that should get you anywhere.'"
16. "I had requested paperwork to file a sexual harassment complaint against a coworker. When I told the restaurant owner who the complaint was against, he laughed and waved me off, saying that this person — who had begun following me to the restroom and my car — was 'harmless.'"
17. "I went back to work after a long period off after losing my daughter, and my manager said, 'Don't worry — you're still young enough to have another.'"
19. "I was finishing up my shift for the day, and I asked my manager if there was anything else he wanted me to do before I left. He responded, 'Yeah — go in the bathroom and lick the toilet seat.'"
20. "I had a bad day at work, and my boss asked if I was going to go home and kill myself."
—Holl Cadman, Facebook
21. "I was completely upfront during the interview process about being a single dad. Well, when I had to leave on time one day — after a 10-hour shift — my boss asked, 'Don't you have someone to do that for you? Send her to your ex-wife's!'"
22. "I asked for a raise, and my boss told me I didn't need one because my boyfriend made enough for the two of us."
23. "I requested to use my lunch break to go breastfeed my newborn at her daycare, and my boss responded, 'I don't understand why you breastfeed anyway. Seriously, is it that much better than formula? My kids all had formula, and they're fine!'"
24. "I have speech problems caused by my dyspraxia, and I stutter and find it hard to pronounce simple words sometimes. Well, once a manager asked me a question, and when I replied, he said, 'In English please!'"
26. "I have severe panic disorder, and I get really easily overwhelmed. Well, one day I had to step outside of my job at Panera Bread to take some deep breaths, and one of my managers said on her headset, 'Looks like Shawn's having his mental breakdown for the day!'"
"I almost walked out on the spot, and now I really wish I had."
—Shawn Rowe, Facebook
27. "My boss once put a crumpled piece of paper in the pocket of my uniform vest and said that he wanted me to throw it away for him. He wasn't joking."
29. "My former boss told me that my being a married gay man made everyone uncomfortable because he and his friends couldn't 'be guys' around me."
30. "I was made Fire Marshal of the building, which meant that during a fire drill — or real fire — I had to be the last one out to make sure everyone got out of the building. My boss told me I was selected because I didn't have kids or a family to go home to. So basically, I was selected to die because I was child-free and single."
32. "My female coworker and I were prepping for the lunch shift at a restaurant when the male general manager walked over and said, 'You know, I had a dream about you two last night.' Then he paused and said, 'No, I probably shouldn't tell you about it,' smiled to himself, and walked away. We were so appalled and disgusted that we just stood there, stunned."
34. "After quitting a horrible job that was causing me severe mental distress, my ex-boss emailed me saying, 'I would wish you luck in your future, but I really don't.'"
What about you? Have you ever had a boss say something insulting or totally inappropriate to you? Tell us about it in the comments section, and you could be featured in an upcoming BuzzFeed Community post!
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.