People Are Sharing The Most Awkward Thing That Happened When They Met Their Partner's Family, And I'm Laughing, I'm Crying, I'm Cringing
"His parents' new puppy stole my period panties and ran away with them!"
1. "I met my Italian ex's family during a summer in Italy, and I didn't speak a word of their language. Well, one night, his parents hosted a big dinner party with all of his extended family, and his mom served chicken cotoletta, which is basically breaded, deep-fried chicken breast similar to the Japanese dish chicken katsu."
2. "When I met my boyfriend's family, they had just gotten a new golden retriever puppy. Well, when my boyfriend and I retired for the night, I changed my underwear because I was on my period — and the new puppy broke into our bedroom the next morning, sniffed out my period panties, and ran away with them!"
"It was not a fun time when his parents had to hand me back my dirty underwear! I still have trouble looking them in the eyes sometimes."
3. "My ex rotated between her place and mine, and she lived with her dad, sister, and grandma. Her grandma hated my guts, and though she didn't speak English, her disdain for me needed no translation. Well, one night, the bathroom we normally used at her house was broken, so we had to use the main one, where the light wasn't working. In the middle of the night, I felt a shit coming, so I felt my way down the dark hallway into the dark bathroom..."
"I pulled my pants down and felt my way to the toilet, when suddenly I grabbed a handful of Grandma's fleshy thigh! A slew of Cantonese swear words followed, and I was so startled that I apologized profusely, then ran face-first into the doorjamb!"
4. "My now-husband had warned his family that I hate chocolate before we had dinner at their place. Well, the day of dinner, I had a migraine and was already feeling nauseous when his mom pulled out a pumpkin pie...the only other dessert I hate."
5. "My now-husband took me to meet his aunt, uncle, and cousins at a family get-together, and he warned me ahead of time that they like to eat exotic food. Well, when we got there, his aunt asked me, 'Do you like rabbits?' but I heard, 'Do you like rabbit?' assuming she was talking about eating one. I didn't want to sound like I was a fussy eater, so I replied, 'I've never eaten it, but I'll give it a go!' She was asking if I'd like to see her pet rabbit, who had just had babies."
"It’s been a decade, and they still pretend to hide their small animals so that I won’t eat them whenever we visit — and to top that off, they send me a birthday card with a rabbit on it every year!"
6. "I was 15 when I met my boyfriend's mom, and we sat down on her bed to talk. Well, I must have gotten my period, because when I stood up, we both immediately saw the bright-red stain on her fresh, white duvet!"
"She was so kind about it, though."
7. "We were at my girlfriend's parents' house early in our relationship, and I was explaining to her mom about the app I use to read books on my phone. Well, I opened the folder I'd labeled 'Entertainment' to show her the app, and forgot that it was right next to my Pornhub and X Video apps!"
8. "My in-laws live abroad, and their first language is Arabic. We couldn't travel to them in person, so my husband arranged for me to meet them over FaceTime. Well, my husband had never introduced his family to a partner before, and in his culture that is a BIG deal — so I learned how to say, 'Hello, I'm called Emma' in Arabic in order to connect with them."
"Well, 'called' in Arabic is one letter away from the word 'fart.' And I was so nervous that I straight-up introduced myself as, 'Hello, I'm farting Emma.' Apparently this story is now told the world over."
9. "I'd just met my now-husband's parents, and we sat down for a lovely dinner. Well, I was telling a story — animatedly — and I sent a full glass of red wine flying all over their pristine cream-and-white house! It hit the tablecloth, the carpet, the walls, the curtains, everything! It looked like a murder scene!"
"His mother tried her best to hide her horror, but it took her two days of scrubbing to sort everything, and I think she had to throw the tablecloth away. We've been together 14 years now, and to this day, his grandmother tells everyone to look out if I'm even near a glass of red wine."
10. "I met my high school boyfriend's parents on Halloween...dressed as a whoopie cushion."
11. "I knew that meeting my now-husband's parents was the final step in our relationship, so we traveled to see them. Well, the first night we went out to eat, and our waiter asked us if we wanted dessert. I told my husband's family that I had a major sweet tooth, and said, 'I could eat so much sugar, I could wind up in dentures and still keep eating candy!' I thought it was a funny joke, until his mom flatly responded, 'I wear dentures.' Awkward."
12. "I met my first serious boyfriend's family at their big, Italian Thanksgiving dinner at his grandma's house. I was super nervous as I met his cousins, aunts, uncles, mom, and dad, but all was going well...until I met his grandma. We both leaned in for a hug, but since apparently we're both left-handed, we leaned in the same direction and slammed straight into each other!"
"I managed to break an heirloom wine glass of red wine on her white marble floor AND broke her nose during the cleanup. We did not last."
13. "I dated a guy my sophomore year of high school, and while we hung out at his house a few times, it wasn't anything serious. Well, two years later, I ended up dating his older brother, who was away at college when I dated the younger one, so he never knew. Things were definitely more serious with the older brother, and when he brought me home to meet his parents, the first thing they said was, 'You look really familiar.'"
14. "I'm not religious, so I wasn't stoked when my boyfriend said he wanted me to meet his family at a Catholic service in a city an hour away. Well, we were late, and there was no time to talk beforehand, so when it was time to take Communion, my boyfriend started frantically whispering to me to cross my arms to refuse the wafer, since I'm not Catholic."
"But I guess the priest didn't get the memo because even though I crossed my arms, he started flying that wafer plane right to my mouth! I panicked and just bolted back to my seat, only to turn around and see both the priest and my boyfriend's dad laughing at me!"
15. "I met my ex's parents at a summer barbecue, and I was wearing a dark-blue halter top romper. I felt really cute until I had to go to the bathroom and basically get naked in order to pee. Well, somehow, while I was in the process of taking off the romper, the string came out of the top and I couldn't get it back up. I struggled for 10 minutes before my ex came in to help."
"Eventually we were able to get it back on, and we were laughing about my luck, when I washed my hands and got WHITE SOAP all over my romper! I tried to wipe it off, but it left the biggest, most noticeable white stain! And we walked out of the bathroom to his entire family giving him weird looks. Luckily, they all have an amazing sense of humor. We laughed about it for months!"
16. "We were meeting my now-husband's father at a fancy restaurant, and I wore a big winter coat. Well, when I tried to take it off, the zipper got stuck, and after several minutes of struggling and my partner trying to help me, we realized I had to be cut out of it. So there I was, standing up in a crowded restaurant, with my now-husband going at my coat with a dinner knife."
17. "In high school, I dated the same guy twice, about a year apart. Well, the second time we dated, I went to meet his family and was decorating Christmas cookies with his younger siblings when his little brother looked me in the eye and said, 'You're way nicer than the other Jennifer he dated.' I'm the only Jennifer he's ever dated."
18. "My high school sweetheart and I were 'sea cadets' — which is a Navy-based scouts type of thing — and we usually went to my place after drills. Well, one time, we went to her home instead. She went to her room to change out of her uniform, and I changed in the bathroom. I sat down on the couch to tie my shoes as she walked in buttoning her shirt, and just then, her dad walked through the front door! He looked at us and the temperature dropped!"
19. "My then-boyfriend came over for Sunday dinner to meet my parents for the first time, and while talking about his day, he said that he'd just cleaned his fish tank, a chore he referred to as 'my own personal Vietnam.' My father — a retired Army veteran — nodded and said, 'Huh. My own personal Vietnam was...Vietnam.'"
What about you? Did you have a hilarious, awkward, or embarrassing "meeting my partner's family" fail? If so, you know we want to hear about it! Tell us about it in the comments section, and you could be featured in an upcoming BuzzFeed Community post!
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.