We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the most ridiculous thing they got mom-shamed for, and the responses range from the totally ridiculous to the totally infuriating:
1. "I was shamed for having stretch marks on my stomach TWO DAYS AFTER GIVING BIRTH."
2. "My mother-in-law shamed me for having a cat, saying it would smell milk on my baby and 'steal the baby's breath.'"
"In my mind, all I could see was that scene from Hocus Pocus where the Sanderson sisters suck the life out of the children."
3. "It had been less than 24 hours since I had given birth, and one of the nurses shamed me for picking up my baby when she cried. She said, 'You don't want the baby to think she'll be picked up every time,' and then, knowing that I couldn't get up, she moved the bassinet too far away for me to reach."
4. "I was changing my daughter's diaper in the back of my SUV in a grocery store parking lot and a woman approached us and said that I was 'teaching my daughter to expose herself in public.'"
5. "I was in line at the grocery store when my daughter cried for a Go, Diego, Go! balloon. I was a single mom on a tight budget and didn't believe kids should get every little thing they ask for, so I said, 'No.' Well, a lady in line next to me bought the balloon, handed it to my daughter, and scoffed, 'She deserves to have the balloon.'"
6. "My mother-in-law mom-shamed me for letting my daughter listen to what she called 'heathen music.' It was James Taylor."
7. "Recently, my son — an only child — was bitten by a little girl at his daycare. The daycare director blamed us for not having more children, saying, 'If he had a sibling, he would know what to do when a child bites him.'"
8. "I'm a stepmom, and I constantly get shamed because I'm not a 'real' mom."
9. "I was called a 'baby killer' because my baby wasn't wearing socks...in eighty degree weather."
10. "My mother-in-law actually shamed me for breastfeeding, telling me that I should pump so that 'other people' can have turns feeding my baby."
11. "I was grocery shopping with my antsy toddler and we were in a section that had free fruit and cookies for the kids. So I asked my daughter which she wanted, and of course, she said the cookie. After I gave it to her, another mom nearby gave a banana to her son and said — directed at me, obviously — 'I'm giving you this banana because I love you and don't need to fill you up with sugar so you'll behave.' She then did a little hair flip and walked away."
12. "I got yelled at by a stranger because she thought the sun was in my baby's eyes. We were at the beach."
13. "If I had a dollar for every time I was told I'm a subpar mother for having tattoos, I could easily afford college for my straight-A student."
14. "I was walking my son to the bus stop wearing Little Mermaid pajama pants when another mom looked at me and said, 'You could have at least put on yoga pants.'"
15. "My mother-in-law apologized to strangers on my behalf because my baby daughter was dressed in blue."
16. "I was at Kohl's and my 5-year-old wouldn't stop asking me to buy her a ballerina outfit. After glaring at me, another mom rudely told my kid, 'Asked and answered! In MY house, that's what I tell MY child.'"
17. "I sometimes put my son's long blonde hair in a bun, and I was once told the only men who should wear a bun are 'members of Parliament and Sumo wrestlers.'"
18. "My grandmother mom-shamed me for not giving my baby lunch at exactly 12:00."
19. "I was mom-shamed for literally just having my baby outside. I was strolling my four-month-old on the sidewalk when this old man shouted to me, 'My God, what are you doing with that baby outside? Get him out of this pollution!'"
20. "A lady went off on me for bringing my 4-year-old son into the bathroom with me at the store. When I told her that I wasn't comfortable sending him into the men's room alone, she told me I shouldn't leave the house without my husband then."
21. "I was shamed when I said my daughter was one year old instead of fourteen months."
22. "I was shamed for not doing Santa at our house. Another mom berated me for 'ruining the magic of Christmas.'"
23. "Someone mom-shamed me for not keeping all the art my kid makes in school."
24. "I got mom-shamed by my boss for not achieving the perfect balance between mom life and work. I had been back at work 3 DAYS!"
25. "I was literally mom-shamed for going to Walmart with my newborn son — the woman scolded me, saying that Walmart is no place for a new baby."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.