21 Married Women Share What They Wish They Could Tell Their Single Friends
"Checking with my husband before making plans with you is not a control thing, it's a respect thing."
We recently had our single readers tell us what they want their married friends to know. Well, turns out our married readers have a few things they want to tell their single friends, too:
1. "If I vent to you about my spouse, I'm just trying to get things off my chest. I don't need you to bash him, question why I'm with him, say I can do better, or suggest a divorce. Sometimes we just get on each other's nerves."
—Jacki Demchak, Facebook
2. "If you tell me a secret, I'm absolutely telling my spouse. He won't tell anyone or judge you — and honestly, he probably won't even remember I told him — but he's going to hear it."
3. "I still want to hear about your Tinder matches, first dates, and one night stands. I care about what's happening in your life, no matter how different it is from mine."
5. "When I say I have to check with my husband before agreeing to plans with you, I'm not 'asking his permission.' My marriage consists of trust and communication, and I would expect the same from him if the situation was reversed."
"It's not a control thing. It's a respect thing."
6. "Marriage doesn't guarantee 100% of the understanding and emotional support we need. We still need our friends."
7. "Just because we're married doesn't mean we want to have kids. So please stop asking us when we're going to."
8. "You don't have to get married. Some people make the choice to do so, and some don't — and either way is totally fine."
"And there's no rush. You shouldn't feel pressure to get married just because some people in your life did. When you find the right person, you’ll be really glad you didn’t settle for anything less."