2. This announcement came just two weeks after the unexpected death of over 25,000 bumblebees in the parking lot of the Wilsonville, Ore., Target.
This photo provided by the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation shows some of the thousands of dead and dying bees found in the parking lot of a shopping center in Wilsonville, Ore.
7. The USDA estimates that about one in every three bites of food is either directly or indirectly made possible because of bee pollination.
10. As CCD continues to ravage commercial honeybee populations, scientists and governments are now stepping in to help determine the cause of this startling phenomenon.
11. Some studies point to neonictonoids (pesticides) as the potential cause behind CCD, though the evidence remains largely inconclusive.
According to the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, neonicotinoids can persist in soil for months or years after a single application. And though there is no direct link demonstrated between neonicotinoids and CCD, recent research suggests that neonicotinoids may make honeybees more susceptible to parasites and pathogens, including the intestinal parasite Nosema, which has been implicated as one causative factor in CCD.
14. In 2012 the rates of CCD decreased to an average loss of 22% in the winter season. As of now it has yet to be determined what the average losses will be for 2013.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings. The rule applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- South Korean prosecutors have reportedly asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye.
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴