1. Artificial food dye: Makes your food pretty and can inhibit nerve-cell development.
2. Olestra (or Olean): Lowers calorie counts while causing vitamin depletion and anal leakage.
3. Brominated vegetable oil: Makes food dye stick to liquid, but also may cause birth defects and major organ damage.
4. Potassium bromate (or bromated flour): Great for impatient bakers, bad for your kidneys and nervous system.
5. Azodicarbonamide: Bleaches flour, plastic, and induces asthma as an added bonus.
6. BHA & BHT: Waxy preservatives linked to cancer and tumors.
7. Synthetic growth hormones rBGH and rBST: Harmful to cows and linked to increasing tumor development in humans.
8. Arsenic: Basically this ish will slowly kill you.
CORRECTION: Some studies linked in the original version of this article were concerning unrelated issues. They have been replaced with information directly from the book Rich Food, Poor Food (6/22/12).