Pinterest was built for *discovery* but with its recent acquisition of Punchfork and real upgrades to the search feature, the user experience has vastly improved. While Pinterest search results can be broad and a little all over the place, it can actually be more useful than Google's bread-and-butter product.
Google, you are SO obvious.
1. Pinterest search for STRIPES: clothes, art, design
Google search for STRIPES: stripes
2. Pinterest search for RUFFLES: dresses, skirts, cakes, ruffles!
Google search for RUFFLES: chips
3. Pinterest search for BLUE: a kitchen, sunset, candles, a church, paint, ~ambience~
Google search for BLUE: the color
4. Pinterest search for CHEVRON: table runners, clothes, handbags, art, design
Google search for CHEVRON: hello OIL
5. Pinterest search for ANGRY: cute and irritated animals plus one kid in timeout
Google search for ANGRY: crappy stock images
6. Pinterest search for COOKIES: Oreos, a candle, chocolate-dipped, fancy, packaged
Google search for COOKIES: chocolate chip BORING
7. Pinterest search for EGGS: bird eggs, painted, pink, hard boiled, eggs on tomatoes, eggs on toast
Google search for EGGS: stuff from a chicken's butt
8. Pinterest search for CALIFORNIA: lofts, water, bridges, filters, camp sites, bridges, sunshine
Google search for CALIFORNIA: maps
9. Pinterest search for IPHONE: cookies, covers, stars, stripes, skulls, iphones
Google search for IPHONE: iphones
10. Pinterest search for LOVE: nothing?
Google search for LOVE: better than Pinterest
Ashley McCollum is Chief of Staff at BuzzFeed. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Ashley McCollum at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.