1. Dr. Seuss’s real name is Theodore Geisel.
Okay, you probably knew that… but it’s an important fact to begin with!
2. He started using the pen name Seuss after getting kicked off the Dartmouth College literary humor magazine.
He threw a boozy party during the height of prohibition and got in trouble. He needed a pseudonym to keep writing for the magazine.
3. He had other pen names too!
Dr. Seuss was for the books he both wrote and illustrated. Theo LeSeig was for books that he wrote without illustrating. Rosetta Stone was for one book he penned called Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
4. He actually pronounced “Seuss” like “Soice.” (Rhymes with voice.)
You’re wrong as the deuce/ And you shouldn’t rejoice/ If you’re calling him Seuss./ He pronounces it Soice. (via)
5. He got famous for illustrating insecticide ads.
6. His first book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, was inspired by a boat ride from Europe.
The rhythmic sound of the ship’s engine was inspiration to writing an equally rhythmic text for a children’s book.
7. He almost burned the book because 27 publishers rejected him!
8. He never had his own children.
He was kind of afraid of them. (via)
9. Green Eggs And Ham has exactly 50 words.
He won a $50 bet with his publisher for accomplishing this!
10. Abortion groups like to use the line, “A person’s a person, no matter how small,” in their rhetoric.
Its often questioned what Horton Hears A Who means in the first place, but when he was still alive, Dr. Seuss threatened to sue an anti-abortion group unless they removed his words from their letterhead. (via)
- The judge who sentenced former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner for sexual assault will no longer hear criminal cases.
- Hillary Clinton came closer than ever to attacking Donald Trump's character and tied her opponent to the "alt-right" movement.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact email@example.com to let us know.