What the show’s about:
Based on the novel by Daniel Wallace and the motion picture directed by Tim Burton, Big Fish follows the life of Edward Bloom, a traveling salesman with an epic imagination. He lives life to the fullest and thrives on thrilling storytelling, but his attachment to fantasy has resulted in a damaging relationship with his realist son, Will Bloom. Will is determined to find out the truth behind his father’s legendary tales before it’s too late.
Who’s in the cast:
From left to right: Norbert Leo Butz as Edward Bloom, Kate Baldwin as Sandra Bloom, Bobby Steggert as Will Bloom
The best moments from the musical:
1. When Julian Crouch (scenic design) and William Ivey Long (costume design) made fairytale characters and storylines come to life sans CGI.
With the proper resources and money, it’s easy to bring a world of imagination to the big screen, but theater is more difficult. There’s only so much you can do on a stage when working with such an eclectic story, but this production was beautifully designed and it reeled in the audience right from the start.
2. Every time Norbert Leo Butz flawlessly transitions from young to old Edward Bloom.
Although Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney did a great job in the movie, Butz takes on the responsibility of playing the same man at very different times in his life. The audience is captivated by the energetic and feverishly imaginative storyteller (young Bloom), but also by the terminally-ill man stuck in his dramatized past (senior Bloom).
5. The son (played by Zachary Unger) is absolutely adorable and he will make your heart melt.
The production often flashes back to Edward Bloom telling his son these crazy tales, and watching it on stage for the first time makes the audience feel like a friend of young Will Bloom. His character is also a reminder of how family-friendly this musical is.
7. When Kate Baldwin sang her heart out in “I Don’t Need a Roof.”
This song was magnificent and Baldwin’s vocals triggered an emotional reaction complete with chills and tears.
9. Bobby Steggert’s raw emotion.
We won’t give away much, but all we’ll say is bring tissues.
- Turkey has become a magnet for violence. The country has suffered 434 terror attacks in the last year.
- Since Britain's vote to leave the EU, a series of xenophobic attacks against minority groups in public and online has stunned the country.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸