1. BuzzFeed visited the cast of Newsies to learn the paper dance segment from the musical number “Seize the Day.”
The Broadway show started a campaign called “NEWSIES: Get Up and Go” to encourage healthy lifestyles among kids. Members of the cast teach actual dance sequences from the musical’s show-stopping number “Seize the Day.” We brought a few editors to the Nederlander Theatre to see how difficult it is to learn the dance, and have the hilariously awkward results in GIF form.
3. First we met our instructors, who were just as talented and amazing as you’d expect them to be.
4. We had our beloved dance captain, Michael Fatica.
6. Next is Jess LeProtto, a So You Think You Can Dance alum and a master of pirouettes.
7. Then there’s Evan Kasprzak, another So You Think You Can Dance alum and fearless performer.
8. This is our wonderful assistant dance captain, Julian DeGuzman.
9. And last but not least is Tommy Bracco, who can do insane things like this:
No, he did not fall, he’s just 10 times more flexible than the average citizen.
10. They make dancing look easy, so we figured everything would be fine (for the most part).
And so the eight-step process begins!
12. Step 1: Place your newspaper gently on the ground in front of you.
So far so good, y’all.
13. Step 2: Jump on your newspaper.
14. Step 3: Split the paper apart with your feet.
LOL why were we worried?
15. Step 4: Crisscross apple-sauce kind of stuff.
16. Step 5: PANIC.
17. JK we’ve got this.
Just in case you were wondering, we are spitting* on the ground and wiping it with our feet.
*We’re not actually spitting because that would be gross.
18. Step 6: Drag your papes back and do more crisscrossing.
Slightly harder but overall we’re gold.
19. Step 7: PANIC AGAIN.
We had to turn and then land on another person’s newspaper.
***BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT***
20. “A” for effort.
“B” for execution, but we’re trying.
21. Step 8: Shuffle your feet, throw your fist in the air, and yell, “STRIKE!”
And that’s the end!
22. Here’s the final result of BuzzFeed editors attempting to dance to “Seize the Day.”
23. And here’s the Newsies showing how it’s really done.
24. Everyone did an amazing job and people should realize just how incredibly talented the Newsies are.
25. High five, team.
- Tennessee's massive wildfires have now killed ten people and destroyed or damaged more than 700 structures.
- Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz is stepping down to focus on the chain's new high-end coffee shops and stores ☕️
- French president François Hollande said he won't run for a second term in next year's election.
- Spanish authorities have accused six professional tennis players of helping to fix 17 matches 🎾💰