12 Things People Don't Understand About Eating Disorders
An estimated 24 million people in the U.S. have eating disorders. This is a glimpse into what that means.
1. They aren't just about body image.
2. They aren't adolescent disorders.
3. They aren't women's disorders.
4. They aren't white disorders.
5. They aren't punchlines.
6. They're life-consuming.
7. They include more than anorexia, bulimia, and binge-eating.
8. People with eating disorders aren't easy to identify.
9. People with eating disorders can't just "snap out of it."
10. Chances are, people with eating disorders don't see themselves the way you see them.
11. They're serious and life-threatening problems.
12. Recovery is possible.
Men make up an estimated 36% of individuals who have binge-eating disorder. A previous version of this story stated the wrong percentage.