We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community for their favorite quotes about being a parent. Here are the heartwarming and hilarious results:
2. "Making the decision to have a child— it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
Suggested by jenniferd4cb577759
3. "God, why does a mortal man have children? It is senseless to love anything this much."
—Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams
Suggested by Candice Carranza, Facebook
4. "The days are long, but the years are short."
—Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project
Suggested by leahcollumsg
5. "Mom, it's over. You ruined it, okay? You 'mommed' it all up."
—Louise Belcher, Bob's Burgers
Suggested by Linda Rebolini, Facebook
6. "Kids ain't supposed to be grateful. They're supposed to eat your food and break your heart."
—Bobby Singer, Supernatural
Suggested by Sarah Nimer, Facebook
7. "It's like having a puppy that slowly learns to talk."
—Perry Cox, Scrubs
Suggested by Cornelia Bendel, Facebook
8. "It takes at least two children to know that you are neither the worst nor the best parent."
—Jenn O'Rourke Palko, Facebook (family saying)
9. "Be nice to your children, for they will choose your rest home."
Suggested by angels4d4906ef4
11. "There is no sound more annoying than the chatter of a child, and none more sad than the silence they leave when they are gone."
—Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns
Suggested by hintofsuspense
12. "You don't just love your children; you fall in love with them. It's the same rush, the same overwhelming desire to see them, to hold them, to bore other people to tears with every detail about them."
—Frasier Crane, Frasier
Suggested by cjt1986
13. "A two-year old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it."
Suggested by Erin Schlegel, Facebook
14. "Mommy, you're really good at being bad at stuff, but that's OK."
15. "While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
Suggested by sammyreno
16. "By the time you understand I was right, you'll have a kid who thinks you're wrong."
—Anjistho Basu, Facebook (father's saying)
17. "All mothers are slightly insane."
—J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Suggested by Kenna Cook, Facebook
18. Marlin: "How do you know if they're ready?"
Crush: "Well, you never really know, but when they know, you know, y'know?"
Suggested by therblig
20. "What's it like having four kids? Imagine you're drowning, and someone hands you a baby."
Suggested by amaneaux
21. "All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers."
—Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Suggested by Mollie Kneath, Facebook
22. "It's not enough to love the children; it is necessary that they are aware that they are loved."
Suggested by fransgirl
23. "When your children are teenagers, it's important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you."
—Nora Ephron, I Feel Bad About My Neck
Suggested by fransgirl
24. "Sometimes... the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
Suggested by insomniacprincess
25. "You're going to live with this person for the next 18 years. Make sure you raise someone you like."
—lilys10 (grandmother's saying)