1. Sarah Tobias, The Accused (1988)
2. Claudia, Interview with the Vampire (1994)
3. Susannah Fincannon-Ludlow, Legends of the Fall (1994)
The change: At least two large chunks cut from the top of her boob-length hair
Why get a haircut? Unable to be with her true love, Susannah (Julia Ormond) is about to shoot herself.
4. Deb, Empire Records (1995)
The change: Bob to bald
Why get a haircut? Deb (Robin Tunney) tried to kill herself. "I was just really tired of being invisible," she says.
5. Bernadine "Bernie" Harris, Waiting to Exhale (1995)
The change: Upper-boob-length hair to two-inch-long hair
Why get a haircut? Bernie's (Angela Bassett) scumbag husband let her devote her life to him, his business, and their children, only to leave her for his secretary.
6. Felicity Porter, Felicity (1999)
7. Buffy Summers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2002)
The change: Nipple-length hair to shoulder-length hair
Why get a haircut? Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) has sex with a vampire she kind of hates, and it's weird, and then that vampire calls her "Goldilocks."
8. Fantine, Les Misérables (2012)
9. Det. Olivia Benson, Law & Order: SVU (2013)
10. Hannah Horvath, Girls (2013)
11. Tris Prior, The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)
Not that these aren't legitimate reasons for a haircut, but a getting shorter hair isn't always a female distress signal.