1. Burt Lancaster, Apache, 1954
Lancaster plays an Apache soldier captured by Americans. Jenni Monet writes, “The reality is, Native Americans have long suffered a public relations problem in a society that would rather regard today’s Indians as relics of the past.”
2. Mickey Rooney, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, 1961
Mickey Rooney plays a Japanese man. Asian Week gives this character the No. 2 spot on its list of “The 25 Most Infamous Yellow Face Film Performances.”
3. Chuck Connors, Geronimo, 1962
Connors plays Geronimo, leader of the Apache resistance movement until 1886. Comedian Charlie Hill said in the film Reel Injun, “Chuck Connors as Geronimo! That’s like Adam Sandler as Malcolm X!”
5. David Carradine, Kung Fu, 1972–1975
David Carradine plays a Buddhist monk, Kwai Chang Caine, who was raised in China and comes to America looking for his white half-brother. In an article on Racialicious, he was described as having a “godawful racist career!” “Sitting there and watching [Kung Fu] was like … offering your body up to be erased,” the writer continues.
6. Joel Grey, Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, 1985
Joel Grey plays “a deceptively harmless, wizened, crafty, benevolent, a little bit mysterious Asian man, who is in reality a martial-arts master,” or a yellowface cliché, as David Desser writes in The Martial Arts Film in the 1990s.
7. Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart, 2007
Angelina Jolie plays the real-life person Mariane Pearl, a French woman with a Cuban mother and a Dutch father. Pearl “is clearly a person of African ancestry, and putting dark make up and a curly wig on Angelina Jolie doesn’t change that fact or fool anyone,” writes Margaret Kimberly.
9. James D’Arcy, Cloud Atlas, 2012
James D’Arcy plays “The Archivist,” a Korean man who interrogates Sonmi-451 in Neo Seoul. Andrew Ti writes on Grantland that “rather than address something like facial structure, or, god forbid, getting an Asian actor to play this role, they elect to concentrate on the most obvious and craven characteristics that they perceive in Asian people, their slanty eyes and their not-quite-white skin.”
- Swedes are confused after Trump talked about a nonexistent incident in Sweden during his rally in Florida 🇸🇪🙃
- The Trump administration is reportedly considering a set of policies to prosecute parents who illegally enter the US with their children.
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat in the color of Somalia's flag 🇸🇴
- Donald Glover has been cast as Simba in Disney's remake of "The Lion King."