This post was inappropriately deleted amid an ongoing conversation about how and when to publish personal opinion pieces on BuzzFeed. The deletion was in violation of our editorial standards and the post has been reinstated.
4. The video is based on a statistic from Dove that 96% of women wouldn’t describe themselves as beautiful.
You know, maybe those women described themselves as smart, funny, generous, kind, but we’ll never know, because the soap manufacturer wants to tell us how we feel about ourselves. And then fix it for us. With soap.
7. Of course, Dove is a soap manufacturer that produces “corrective” products like cellulite cream and skin whitening products, so it feels ~weird~ that they’re telling women to call themselves beautiful.
Dove has a long and fabled history of experimenting with the shame women feel about their bodies and posturing that they are the way out of it. See their previous experiments: having an illustrator sketch out women’s perceptions of themselves, asking women to raise their armpits to promote skin whitening cream, and a video about the media onslaught of sexualized imagery through the eyes of a little girl.
8. Maybe the real question we should be asking is why do we have to choose — and especially between such vague, material choices.
You don’t have to be beautiful (or at the very least, you shouldn’t have to be), and not being beautiful doesn’t mean you’re average. Feeling beautiful is an obligation and a pressure — and sometimes a pleasure, but not always. Feeling beautiful is so much work: work that beauty companies cash in on and exploit.
At the very least, we don’t need our soap to try to be our therapist. Just work and let us think for ourselves.
9. Check out the full video below.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹