1. First of all, you weren't too thrilled with the idea of your mouth being laced with wire and metal.
2. Choosing which color to put on your braces always felt like you were choosing the next Spring fashion trend.
3. You felt like you were in a horror movie when the orthodontist lazily trimmed your wires and you were left with a bloody mouth.
4. You had so many cuts throughout your mouth from those metal brackets of death.
5. You tried using the wax to help, but the squares wouldn't stick for longer than 10 seconds.
6. If you had rubber bands, you were always paranoid one would break and snap in your mouth.
7. And you hated taking your rubber bands out to eat — but it had to be done.
8. So many people told you "all the ~cool kids~ were getting braces" and you tried so hard to believe it.
9. You gagged whenever you had to get a mould of your teeth taken.
10. Nothing will ever compare to the pain that is a palette expander.
11. You could never understand why anyone willingly got braces without needing them.
12. You had to pretty much be dragged into the orthodontist's office when you knew you were going to be getting your braces tightened.
13. And you couldn't eat solid food for days after having them tightened because it physically hurt your face and mouth to chew anything.
14. You struggled with deciding whether or not to show your teeth on a daily basis.
15. When literally half your diet had to be cut out because of how much it hurt to eat, like, everything.
16. And all you wanted was a freakin' stick of gum, but were forced to have the "special gum for braces," and it never tasted the same.
17. You wanted to kill anyone who would say, "but your teeth are already so straight!"
18. The worst feeling on Earth was when food got caught and you had to become a miner, digging out the food and extracting it.
19. Your orthodontist told you so many damn that you would be "getting your braces off your next visit" that you stopped believing in anything ever again.
20. But when you did get your braces off, it was like the world had opened up to you.
21. But then your orthodontist handed you retainers, and you realized you'd never, ever be free from the wrath that is braces.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!