14 Facts Everyone Should Know About The California Drought
It isn't just affecting Californians.
According to The Weather Channel, this has been the hottest year on record in California. The current drought continues to persist, affecting farm workers, crop, and water levels.
With just four months left in the year, the drought's effects will still be felt economically, socially, and environmentally.
1. The fruits, nuts, and vegetables you love will cost more at the grocery store.
2. Some of your favorite beers may also go up in price and make happy hour more expensive.
3. The National Drought Mitigation Center reports that California is still in severe, extreme, or exceptional drought conditions.
4. A study done by UC Davis Center for Watershed Sciences states that the drought is expected to cost $2.2. billion with a job loss of 17,100.
5. The state is using its groundwater supply to replenish its surface water needs.
7. Wherever you are, if you're drinking bottled water, it could be contributing to the drought.
8. Residents who are under strict water regulations face heavy fines and even "water school."
9. This year's wildfire season will extend for the entire year.
10. Humans aren't the only ones being affected — nature is, too.
11. Air quality in California might get worse.
12. Some of your favorite vacation destinations may ask you to cut back on water.
13. Have you heard of valley fever? You might soon.
14. The drought isn't going to end anytime soon.
Update: Some items in this post were updated to meet BuzzFeed's editorial standards.