2. Help out seniors.
Marathoners in great shape. Could carry food up staircases to elderly/disabled in apartments without power for elevators.— Roger Simon
Runners looking for a physical challenge can also lug food and water to and from shelters or participate in a number of other relief efforts going on across the city.
3. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
With subways still not running between the boroughs, walking is one of the few ways to actually get from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Over the weekend it should be less crowded, and at least as of now, the weather’s supposed to be nice.
4. Help clean up Staten Island.
Marathoners won’t be starting a race in Staten Island this weekend, but they may still be able to go there and help out. Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis is seeking volunteers Saturday to help clean up the flood-ravaged borough. The Staten Island Ferry is working again, as are buses to the island.
5. Give blood.
Many blood drives had to be cancelled due to the hurricane, so the Red Cross is urging people who can to give blood to make up for the lost donations. Runners probably wouldn’t have been able to donate if they were about to run a marathon (strenuous exercise right after giving blood isn’t the best idea), but they can now. A number of locations in the city are offering blood donation appointments this weekend.
The power is back on in some parts of Manhattan, and runners no longer have to maintain peak physical condition, so there’s every reason to indulge in a night of revelry.
- The White House refuses to deny a report saying Trump administration officials gave the House intelligence chairman classified information.
- The controversial HB2 "bathroom law" in North Carolina was partially repealed, but LGBT activists say the repeal legislation still allows discrimination.
- The disgraced former president of South Korea has been arrested. Park Geun-hye was forced out of office earlier this month in a corruption scandal.
- The trailer for the new film version of Stephen King's "It" has dropped and the general consensus is that it will make you defecate your pants 🤡