1. The Pill
Evidence has been mixed on this, but a 2010 study of over 1,000 women found that those who took oral contraceptives had lower levels of both sexual desire and arousal than those who didn’t. This bolsters widespread anecdotal evidence — many women have said that the Pill killed their desire to have sex.
2. Lack of Sleep
A 2011 study found that getting less than five hours of sleep a night was associated with a significant drop in men’s testosterone levels, which in turn can lead to low sex drive. It’s reasonable to assume being sleep-deprived isn’t awesome for women’s libidos either.
4. Not Eating Enough
Low sex drive is one of the side effects of extreme calorie restriction. Calorie restriction is a fancy term for eating 10 to 50 percent fewer calories than normal, which has been touted in the past few years as a way to increase longevity. And while most dieters probably aren’t cutting their calories in half, being starving probably isn’t great for the libido (especially if you have no energy).
This should be surprising to exactly no one. In a 2010 study of postmenopausal women with low sex drive, “stress or fatigue” was the most common reason they listed for their lowered libido. Sixty percent of them said those factors had influenced their sex drive for the worse.
10. Being In a Long-Term Relationship
A 2012 study found that women tended to lose sex drive the longer they were in monogamous relationships (men in the study did not have this problem). However, monogamous women shouldn’t worry too much — the study was limited to 18-25-year-olds, and was relatively small. Also, the study authors noted that because of social pressure, women might understate their sex drive while men might overstate theirs.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘