1. The Titanic's sinking was totally planned.
Apparently it was NOT the Titanic that sank, but its sister ship, the Olympic. Supposedly the Olympic had been damaged in a collision, and there was evidence to prove that the owners had switched the two ships, and then sunk the “Titanic” (aka the already-damaged Olympic) for insurance money. HOLY SHIT.
2. The Denver International Airport is a hub for the Illuminati.
3. Willy Wonka is the childrens' version of Saw.
Some people believe Willy Wonka was actually a serial killer, murdering all of the kids on the tour one by one. This theory also says Wonka led Charlie to kill himself through the insanity of knowing that the murders had taken place without him knowing, and that's why they fly away at the end. Fucked up, right?
4. The current year is actually 1719, not 2016.
The Phantom Time Hypothesis says Roman Emperor Otto III liked the idea of ruling during the year 1000 — even though that wasn't the date when he was in power. Did he forge documents to change the year? Were the Early Middle Ages totally made up? WHAT IS THE TRUTH?
—Maureen Longoria, Facebook
6. The entire universe and all of your memories were created just last Thursday.
8. The reason everyone remembers certain events and details differently is because there are multiple universes...
This theory's called the Mandela Effect, because of this example: When Nelson Mandela was in jail, people remember him dying. Then, when he was released from jail, people were confused because they had remembered his death and the details so vividly.
—Julia Graham, Facebook
9. ...and the Berenstain Bears theory is an example of that scary-ass theory.
10. A UFO expert's mysterious death earlier this year was planned by the government.
British ufologist Max Spiers was closing in on details about UFOs earlier this year when he was suddenly found dead on a couch in Poland. Doctors said he died of natural causes, but his mom worries that someone wanted him gone, because he sent her a text the week before that said, "If anything happens to me, investigate."
11. Paul McCartney actually died in 1966, and now a lookalike stands in his place.
12. The CIA undertook an intricate mind-control program in the 1950s to force criminals into confessing.
13. Aliens are trying to communicate with us via crop circles.
Okay sure, people can mow all the shapes they want into a field, right? But sometimes these designs are so detailed and so intricate yet sometimes appear in the course of an hour. Aliens could be the explanation for these works of art, or just a really fast mower. Or chemicals that kill grass. WHO KNOWS.
16. The moon landings were faked.
Y'ALL, there are so many people out there who believe the first few moon landings weren't real, and that the photos, videos, and all other evidence have been tampered with so we'd perceive the whole event in a certain way.
—Maya Mathews, Facebook
17. And JFK’s assassination was planned by the government.
A CIA historian recently revealed that the government knew more about the assassination than originally stated — including the fact that Lee Harvey Oswald spent quite a bit of time with some well-connected higher-ups. This pretty much says that if he was in fact guilty, he probably wasn't working alone.