17 Misconceptions Sorority Girls Want To Set Straight
There's more to Sisterhood than you would expect.
1. Let’s get this straight: Sorority girls aren’t dumb and ditzy. In fact, we have to meet strict GPA requirements or we’ll get kicked out.
2. Not every sorority lacks diversity. We work well together because we all come from different backgrounds.
3. Sorority sisters support other ladies — whether they're in Greek life or not.
4. We don't see it as "paying for our friends." Don't you pay to be on sports teams and to join other organizations?
5. Not all sororities haze – most actually have a strong policy against it.
6. Sure, we like to have a good time, but we do WAY more than party.
7. In fact, a lot of sororities actually do huge amounts of volunteer work and community involvement.
8. No, we don't just sit lurking in the shadows, waiting to drag a frat guy into our bed.
9. Every chapter isn't full of cookie-cutter girls. We are all unique in so many ways.
10. It isn't true that we have to sacrifice precious study time, work, or family for the sorority. We make time for everything that's important to us.
11. We aren't a cult. Our group meetings and rituals are for our sisterhood, not the devil.
12. Sororities aren't "snobby Barbies" — we love each other, and are always empowering one another.
13. We aren't some extension of the typical "popular girl" groups from movies about high school. As if!
14. Sorority ladies aren't rude or stuck-up. We're expected to represent our sisters in the best way!
15. As much as we love our sisters, being in a sorority doesn’t define who we are.
16. We aren’t forced to think alike. Each of us is 100% totally freakin' original.
17. And most importantly, there is no such thing as a "typical" sorority experience — your time is all about what you make of it!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.