People Are Using The Hashtag #WhatYouDontSee To Show What Depression Is Really Like
"People don't 'look' depressed because depression isn't a facial expression."
People on Twitter have been using the hashtag #WhatYouDontSee to shed light on the lesser-known parts of struggling with depression.
1. The performance you put on some days:
2. The way depression can isolate you:
3. The double-edged sword:
4. The damaging idea that you can always tell when someone is depressed:
5. The guilt:
6. The worries that come with it:
7. The stigma you face every day:
8. The effect it can have:
9. The possible behind-the-scenes effects of medication:
10. The way it can reveal who your true friends are:
11. The times you can't do anything:
12. The truth behind a canceled plan:
13. The tricks depression can play on your mind:
14. The challenges you face when seeking help:
15. The many complicated symptoms:
16. The fear, even in recovery:
17. The way it can complicate the simplest things:
18. The strength and courage it takes every day:
19. And finally, the knowledge you're not alone:
There are so many more people sharing their experiences, so check out the hashtag for them all.
To learn more about depression, check out the resources at the National Institute of Mental Health here.
If you are dealing with thoughts of suicide, you can reach the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Find a list of suicide hotlines for other countries here.