10 Insider Secrets From Someone Who Is Really Freaking Anxious
No offense, but your anxiety is a big fat liar.
Anxiety can distort the way you see the world around you, interact with others, and feel about yourself.
So, as I've learned to live with my anxiety, these are the reminders I keep up my sleeve as a weapon. Think of them as little mantras to help ward off anxiety when it rears its ugly lying head.
1. People don't pay attention to you as much as you think you do.
2. Hard, anxiety-inducing things get easier the more you do them.
3. You are allowed to celebrate little victories.
4. Your friends love you more than your anxiety will let you see.
5. Your anxiety makes you hold yourself to unrealistic standards. You don't have to reach anxiety-zero.
6. The goal of every social interaction isn't to gain approval, so don't let anxiety convince you that you have to be everything for everyone.
7. Your anxiety sets you on a path of self-fulfilling prophecy and you're absolutely allowed to say fuck you to that.
8. You're capable of making decisions based on wants instead of fears.
9. Okay-case scenarios happen a lot more often than worst-case and best-case scenarios.
10. You deserve to create your own support system.
By the way: If you're not already, you might want to look into ways to take care of yourself. SO, here are some quick resources:
• You can learn more about starting therapy here, since pretty much everyone can benefit from talking to a professional.
• You can learn more about anxiety disorders here.