3. People climb up a hill.
4. A pretty steep one.
5. A wheel of cheese is procured.
This is Diane Smart. She’s made the race wheel of cheese every year for 25 years.
6. It’s taken to the top of the hill by the Cheese Master.
7. The wheel of cheese is thrown down the hill. AND THEN EVERYONE CHASES AFTER IT.
9. It’s definitely dangerous.
Fun fact: this year the cheese was actually replaced with a foam/polystyrene disc, for safety reasons. AS IF THE CHEESE IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE EVENT!
11. The reigning champion is Chris Anderson.
This Maccabees music video is a tribute to his cheese chasing prowess.
12. He’s won the cheese no fewer than six times.
13. A local hero.
14. Concussion doesn’t phase him.
15. He’s just unbeatably fast.
He’ll be the green blur, then.
16. But this year: NO CHRIS!
Chris is serving overseas with 1st Rifle Battalion. Come home safe, Chris! (So you can throw yourself down an incredibly dangerous hill.)
18. But, 4,644 miles away…
20. One man was already training.
21. Meet Kenny Rackers.
22. Football player.
23. Ski guy.
(Also an estate agent.)
25. For Kenny, this race was about so much more than cheese.
“I am training to be the first American to win the Cooper’s Hill Cheese and Rolling Wake. My goal is to win the race… AND INSPIRE ONE MILLION PEOPLE.”
26. “This project is about encouraging others to pursue their dreams today.”
27. “It’s about not letting yourself, others, or circumstances hold you back.”
28. “I Am The American Cheese Racer.”
29. “I am one in a million.”
31. Game Day.
32. And the biggest race of his life was underway.
35. Watch his breathtaking performance in full:
There’s also a slightly less-dangerous but physically gruelling uphill race. Spoiler: Kenny wins that too!
36. He staggers away…
37. Claims his cheese…
38. And declares VICTORY!
Nice one, Kenny. Nice one.
43. And, er… does this count?
As well as the wheel of cheese, the winner also gets a free serving of British understatement.
45. …there’s someone you’ve simply *got* to meet.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭