1. If you’re reading this, I’ll assume you HAVEN’T been paying attention to the NBA this year.
Which is a shame, because this season has already been litttt.
2. But don’t worry, there’s time to catch up.
3. First things first: The Golden State Warriors are basically magical.
They won the championship last year, and they’re even better this year. Like, historically good.
4. As of today they’re 45-4, and have a realistic shot at besting the 96’ Chicago Bulls 72-10 record.
(Which is the best single season record of any team, ever. Shouts to Michael Jordan, maybe you’ve heard of him).
5. The Warriors are led by Steph Curry, last year’s MVP, who is already considered by many to be the greatest shooter ever.
And he basically does shit like this every night.
6. The All Star game is next weekend (Feb 12 - 14)
Okay it isn’t that great but it’s a good chance to get a grasp on the 24 most important players in the NBA.
7. The trade deadline is Feb 18, and some people will get traded, definitely.
So this is the last date that teams can make trades, and make trades they will. This can have a huge impact on the league. Like, if a bad team trades a good player to a playoff team, it can entirely shift the balance of power. It’s basically one of the most exciting times of the season for NBA news.
8. And after the All Star break, shit gets real. It’s the home stretch of the season.
With rosters settled, teams are making their final push toward the playoffs, which start April 16th.
9. A few other teams are serious challengers to the Warriors, though.
10. Like the San Antonio Spurs (41-8)
11. And the Oklahoma City Thunder (38-13)
This Kevin Durant guy is alright, I guess.
12. And of course, LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers (35-13)
As LeBron gets older (and his hairline continues to recede) the pressure to win more championships keeps increasing.
13. But whether any of these teams can beat the Warriors is the question of the season.
This is going to be one of the most exciting playoffs in NBA history.
14. Outside of the playoff race, 20-year-old Knicks rookie Kristaps Porzingis is awesome.
17. Plus, it’s Kobe Bryant’s final season.
The 19-year veteran (and one of the best players of all-time) announced earlier this year that he’s retiring after this season.
18. So get with it while you still have time!
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.