15 "Petty" Dating Red Flags That Annoyed People So Much, They Refused To Date Someone
"I have an iPhone, and I can’t be with a guy who has an Android, because I can’t stand the green texts."
A few weeks ago, I shared some "petty" relationship red flags as told by the good people of Reddit. Like this one, for example:
As always, our wonderful BuzzFeed readers took to the comments to share their own "petty" reasons for breaking up with significant others, and they certainly did not disappoint. Here are 15 of the best, funniest ones:
1. "I once stopped dating someone when I found out they had a twin."
"I don't know why I couldn’t handle the fact that someone looked exactly the same as him."
2. "I ended a casual thing with a guy (who, honestly, I wasn’t that into) because he insisted agave syrup was really, really healthy."
"I worked in biological sciences with an emphasis on diet. He was an electrician."
3. "I stopped seeing this dude after I saw him walking around in his tighty whities."
"I just couldn’t take him seriously or look at him the same way. It reminded me of old men underwear, and it just killed it for me. Sorry not sorry."
4. "I had a friend who refused to go on a date with a guy because the guy liked sushi."
"It didn’t matter that they wouldn’t be going to eat sushi (or a Japanese restaurant); he just couldn’t fathom going on a date with anyone who had at one point or another in their lives eaten sushi."
5. "I have an iPhone, and I can’t be with a guy who has an Android, because I can’t stand the green texts."
"I've been in the 'talking' stage with different people and try to give them a chance, but those green texts just get to me, and I eventually just stop talking to them."
6. "I went on a hike as a second date, and they brought a hiking backpack with its own water supply. When my date went to get a drink from the tube, a strand of saliva arched from their lips to the tube. Petty, probably so, but that was it for me."
7. "I once stopped talking to a musician after I did some investigating and found his album on YouTube. His singing was horrible, and what made it worse was that no one in his life was honest with him about it, 'cause he had two full albums."
8. "A few years ago, a guy I was seeing actually broke up with me because I used a common saying he'd never heard of, and he thought I was cheating."
"We were just having a normal text conversation, and he told me I make amazing salads. I said, 'Pshh, no way Jose, yours are way better!" His name was Drew and he thought the text was meant for my other lover named Jose."
9. "You know how dogs get distemper/Parvo shots as part of their general wellness checks? Well, my ex thought I was behind on my dog’s 'distemperment shots,' like that’s what keeps them 'domesticated.'"
"My dog just didn’t love my ex, so she would growl and bark when the ex entered a room. That and the fact that she referred to pasta as 'al donte' instead of 'al dente' were major deal breakers."
10. "I was a junior in high school; he was a senior. He skipped on a date at the park. He didn’t skip the date — he literally skipped, like alternately hopped on one leg."
11. "I once ended it with a guy when he picked me up and refused my GPS directions."
"I felt like we were going the wrong way, but he said he didn't need them. Needless to say, he went the wrong way for another five minutes until I definitively said, 'This is the wrong way; I’m going to give you the directions.' Based on that, I assumed he is one of those people who can’t take advice well, so I never saw him again after that."
12. "When I was 14 and had my first boyfriend over for dinner, I didn't like the way he held his spoon like [a] toddler, and I was immediately over him."
"Now my partner does the same, and I don't mind lol."
14. "I dated a guy for a few weeks until he decided to climb on the decor in the movie theater and jump off like he was a ninja. We were in our twenties."
Now it's your turn! Have you ever ended things with someone for a "petty" reason like these? If so, tell us about them in the comments below, and you just might be featured in an upcoming BuzzFeed Community post!
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.