It goes into incredible detail about everything from the average price of a book to the total GDP of planet Earth. It plots out the relative gulf in salary of a CEO in 1965 compared to a CEO in 2011, tells you how much J.K. Rowling would be worth if she was a rapper, and even how much a human life is worth in monetary terms according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
You need to set aside around an hour just to have a look at it all properly. If you have a bit more time on your hands then you could extrapolate all manner of facts and observations from it.
This is the bit we’re going to look at.
We could put it in a long-term savings account, make lavish purchases for our loved ones and give charitable donations to those less fortunate than us. We can even afford Beyoncé tickets! No, we’re going to do a little sum with it.
Firstly, we’re going to adjust it for inflation. That $2,396,950,000,000,000 in 2011 is now worth $2,489,198,992,615,775 and 50 cents in September 2013.
Next, it’s time to convert that into the most worthless active currency. According to professor Wikipedia, that would be the Iranian rial (IRR). A quick check on Bloomberg reveals that one dollar is worth a minute fraction under 24,827 IRR.
For those of you without a calculator, the sum looks something like this:
2,489,198,992,615,775.5 × 24,827 = 61,799,343,389,671,860,000
So we now have 61,799,343,389,671,860,000 IRR. We big in Iran.
These are 100 Rial notes, the lowest value bank note that is currently in circulation in Iran. If you took one of these into a shop in Iran it would technically be worth 0.4 cents, however they are now quite rare and there is currently one being sold on eBay for two dollars.
Anyway, we now have 617,993,433,896,718,600 of these bad boys. Each one is 130 millimetres long (about 5 inches).
Okay, so how long is all of this money in millimetres?
130 × 617,993,433,896,718,600 = 80,339,146,406,573,420,000
That’s a lot of millimetres, let’s convert it into… light years. It makes just over 8.49.
And with that, we now have our fact…
1. If you converted all of the money in human history into the smallest available banknote and put it end-to-end, it would be able to reach NINE different stars! This includes Alpha Centauri, where we could bump into these people.
Now, the original number that I used for all of the money in human history is probably out of date now. But that doesn’t matter because…
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Four people were arrested after Trump supporters and protesters clashed during a "Make America Great Again" rally in California.
- One person has been killed and at least 14 injured after a Cincinnati nightclub shooting early Sunday. Police are looking for one suspect.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and ended within 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨