But there’s more to this hulking man than his wrestling career could sum up.
1. He loves Tori Amos. In fact, he said in an interview, “the secret to doing these intense matches? Three words: Tori Amos songs.”
And his matches were definitely intense. Yes, that’s a barbed wire ring.
2. Foley is a member of the National Leadership Council for the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN), an organization for which Amos was the original spokesperson.
4. He’s also an online volunteer counselor, having spoken to hundreds of survivors in his first year alone. The number is still growing.
11. He sponsors children for ChildFund International as well. The other half of the advance from his memoir went to them.
Exhibit A: Mick Foley LOVES Christmas.
In fact, he starts looking forward to Christmas once summer hits. (Probably earlier)
14. And he’s been instrumental in the production of a documentary about mall Santas. He lent his fundraising expertise to getting a Kickstarter off the ground to get this important film made.
15. But he’s kinder than Santa. Foley gave his furniture to a Long Beach family who lost all of theirs in Hurricane Sandy. He then invited himself over for dinner so he could “eat at his old table one last time.”
Here’s a photo of Foley and Alexandra Gialanzé, a member of that Long Beach family.
17. And not only does he watch Boy Meets World…
18. …but he was ON Boy Meets World as his most famous wrestling persona, Mankind.
19. Speaking of unexpected cameos, he also appeared on 30 Rock.
20. His status as a wrestling icon is global.
23. At Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s Rally to Restore Sanity, Foley was awarded a “Medal For Reasonableness.” It was well earned.
25. Speaking of being a cool dad, Foley is a quintessential family man.
Mick Foley: the world’s coolest person.
- Brazilian police have charged swimmer Ryan Lochte with falsely reporting a crime. He'll be summoned to Rio to testify.
- Hillary Clinton came closer than ever to attacking Donald Trump's character and tied her opponent to the "alt-right" movement.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.