7. Emily’s List: $216,443
Number of donors: 488
12. Cantor Victory Fund: $153,600
Number of donors: 11 (including Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who wrote a $25,000 check)
17. American Seniors Housing Association PAC: $72,945
Number of donors: 30
24. Arizona Republican Party: $53,250
Number of donors: 12
25. American Hospital Association PAC: $50,791
Number of donors: 121
Note: We didn’t include the campaigns of four candidates who were running for 2013 special elections, but were not in Congress during the shutdown: Cory Booker ($546,418), Steve Lonegan ($297,211), Bradley Byrne ($143,600), and Katherine Clark ($65,000).
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 159 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Donald Trump's campaign paid a Barnes & Noble $55,055 to buy more than 3,500 hardcover copies of his book.
- Scientists found a planet "on our doorstep" that may be habitable. We could send robots to explore it in a century or so 🌍🌠