1. Since chemicals weapons were used in Syria on Aug. 21, there have been 12.2 million tweets mentioning Syria, according to Twitter. (Note: This was before President Obama’s speech.)
This number includes “syria,” “#Syria,” “siria,” “damascus,” “#unsg,” “chemical weapons,” “assad,” “#assad,” “assads,” “#prayforpeace,” or “#talksyria.”
3. The number of “tweets per minute” — which Twitter uses to measure engagement — about Obama and Syria peaked at 1,553 TPM on Aug. 31 at 1:58 p.m.
4. When Miley Cyrus was twerking on Robin Thicke, there were 306,100 TPM.
5. There have been 229,704 tweets mentioning Congress and Syria in the Aug. 21 to Sept. 10 timeframe.
6. During NSYNC’s performance at the VMAs, there were 219,800 tweets PER MINUTE.
7. There have been 281,498 tweets using the #prayforpeace hashtag about the Pope’s call for peace in Syria since the chemical weapons attack on Aug. 21.
8. When Drake performed at the VMAs there were 194,500 TPM.
9. There have been 204,974 tweets mentioning Secretary of State John Kerry and Syria since the chemical weapons attack.
10. There were 467,217 tweets about the VMA pre-show.
11. Since chemical weapons were used in Syria on Aug. 21, there have been 1,277,365 tweets mentioning Assad.
An aerial photo of a Syrian refugee camp.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- Women are arguing about whether people who are anti-abortion rights should participate in the upcoming Women's March.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- People are melting after a girl shared photos of her pitbull on Twitter in order to speak out against laws banning the animal 🐶😭