1. References were removed to not tip off al-Qaeda and were substituted with "extremists," according to David Petraeus.
2. The links to al-Qaeda were too "tenuous" to make public by DNI because the source wasn't trusted.
3. "The talking points were debated and edited by a collective of experts from around the IC," not just DNI, according to a DNI spokesman.
4. The CIA told Senators McCain, Graham, and Ayotte the FBI removed references to al-Qaeda from the talking points "to prevent compromising an ongoing criminal investigation."
5. The CIA later called Senators McCain, Graham, and Ayotte back, saying they had misspoke to them and that they — not the FBI — had edited the talking points.
Andrew Kaczynski is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Andrew Kaczynski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.