Democratic California Sen. Barbara Boxer sent an open letter to San Diego mayor Bob Filner telling him he needs to resign “immediately.” Boxer wrote the most recent revelations, allegations that Filner made unwanted advances on women who were victims of military sexual assault, had “shaken me to my core.”
“I must say this directly to you: Bob, you must resign because you have betrayed the trust of the women you have victimized, the San Diegans you represent and the people you have worked with throughout your decades in public life,” Boxer writes.
Boxer added: “Let me be clear: The latest revelations regarding your behavior toward women recovering from sexual assault – women who desperately need our help – have shaken me to my core.”
Boxer has already publicly weighed in on Filner, saying the San Diego mayor should resign, but felt the need to write the letter because of the latest allegations.
The full text of the letter is below:
We’ve known each other for a long time, and have worked together on many issues that are important to the people of San Diego – from creating jobs to protecting the environment to helping our veterans.
So I am speaking to you now on a personal and professional level, and asking you to step down as mayor and get the help you need as a private citizen.
I have already said publicly that you should resign your office as mayor because of the shocking revelations by many women about your behavior toward them.
But now I must say this directly to you: Bob, you must resign because you have betrayed the trust of the women you have victimized, the San Diegans you represent and the people you have worked with throughout your decades in public life.
I have worked for so many years to prevent and punish sexual violence and sexual harassment, wherever they occur. As we fight in the Senate to stand up for the men and women in our military who are survivors of sexual assault, I have heard their stories, seen the anguish in their faces, listened to them talk about the pain that will always be with them. Let me be clear: The latest revelations regarding your behavior toward women recovering from sexual assault – women who desperately need our help – have shaken me to my core.
Bob, you have already hurt so many people. To avoid hurting your victims and the people of San Diego more than you already have, you should step down immediately.
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines, prompting praise from pro-Trump unions.
- Press Secretary Sean Spicer dodged multiple questions at today's White House briefing on Donald Trump's false claim that millions of illegal immigrants voted in the election.
- White supremacist Richard Spencer rented space in Alexandria, Virginia, that he intends to use as a hub for the alt-right, sparking outrage and complaints from neighbors.
- And the 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture are: "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," "Hidden Figures," "Hacksaw Ridge," "Manchester by the Sea," "Lion," "Fences," and "Hell or High Water" 🎥 🎬
- Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that Prime Minister Theresa May needs to consult parliament before triggering Brexit.