The Republican National Committee site selection committee announced Tuesday it would recommend Cleveland to host the 2016 Republican National convention. The recommendation means Cleveland will very likely be the host of the convention pending negotiations with the city.
“A Cleveland convention offers our party a great steppingstone to the White House in 2016, and I’m encouraged by the committee’s recommendation,” RNC chairman Reince Priebus said. “The team from Cleveland has gone above and beyond the call of duty and I think they’re representative of a city eager to show the country all the fantastic things they have to offer.”
Here are 21 reasons why Cleveland was a great choice:
1. Ohio is a swing state and important one: Every year since 1980 the candidate who has won the endorsement of the Cleveland Plain Dealer has won both Ohio and the presidency.
3. Museums at University Circle: The Cleveland Museum of Art (one of the best in the United States), the Natural History Museum, the Institute of Music, and Cleveland Orchestra are located conveniently together on Cleveland’s East Side.
6. Cleveland invented “rock and roll” AND has an entire museum dedicated to it. Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed counted the term “rock and roll.” The first rock and roll concert the “Moondog Coronation Ball” was held in Cleveland.
19. The Blossom Music Center amphitheater, located in Cuyahoga Falls just outside the city is home to great musical festivals and the Cleveland Orchestra in summer months. Other music venues include the House of Blues and the Beachland Ballroom and Tavern.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈