1. Obama in 2008: We will cut through the budget line by line and cut programs that don’t work and make others work better.
2. Obama in 2008: Adding $4 trillion to the debt is unpatriotic and irresponsible.
3. Obama in 2008: We will streamline the budget and stop runaway spending.
4. Obama in 2008: Everything we will do, we will pay for.
5. Obama in 2008: I will go through the budget line by line. Once the economic crisis is over we can’t go back to big spending.
6. Obama in 2010: We will cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term in office.
- Brazilian police have charged swimmer Ryan Lochte with falsely reporting a crime. He'll be summoned to Rio to testify.
- Hillary Clinton came closer than ever to attacking Donald Trump's character and tied her opponent to the "alt-right" movement.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.