2. Members of the Gay Activists Alliance holding a sit-in at New York State Republican headquarters in New York City in 1970.
9. Marsha P. Johnson picketing NYC’s Bellevue Hospital to protest unfair treatment of street people and gays in the 1970s.
10. People participating in Christopher Street Liberation Day, which was close to the two-year anniversary of the Stonewall riots, which were largely considered the catalyst to the LGBT rights movement.
12. People picketing at Independence Hall in Philadelphia on July 4, 1966, in support of gay rights.
16. The Gay Activist Alliance demonstrating against Mafia-controlled gay bars and police harassment in August 1971 in Greenwich Village.
18. A woman holding a poster that says, “I am your worst fear I am your best fantasy,” at the Christopher Street Gay Liberation Day parade in 1970.
All photos via the New York Public Library’s digital collections.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎