2. Runners met on the morning of the marathon to take the ferry to Staten Island, where the race typically starts.
5. They wore backpacks filled with supplies.
“There’s a perception out there now that runners are heartless and that’s absolutely not the truth. Everyone gathered here today proves that.” Jordan Metzl, one of the organizers, told the crowd of runners.
Many of the runners had travelled to New York for the race so the ferry ride was an opportunity to take a photo in front of the Statue of Liberty.
13. Once they arrived in Staten Island, everyone ran to the neighborhoods hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy.
22. They gave out food and supplies.
27. And helped move garbage and debris.
30. Sometimes people just wanted to talk.
31. Everyone was happy to have the marathoners on Staten Island.
- Congress has voted to override President Obama's veto of a bill that'd allow families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia.
- Jerry Springer says Donald Trump probably wouldn't be on his show because his guests are authentic and tell the truth.
- As a perpetually plugged-in, texting, swiping, selfie-taking human being, you might be damaging your body without realizing it.