2. Runners met on the morning of the marathon to take the ferry to Staten Island, where the race typically starts.
5. They wore backpacks filled with supplies.
“There’s a perception out there now that runners are heartless and that’s absolutely not the truth. Everyone gathered here today proves that.” Jordan Metzl, one of the organizers, told the crowd of runners.
Many of the runners had travelled to New York for the race so the ferry ride was an opportunity to take a photo in front of the Statue of Liberty.
13. Once they arrived in Staten Island, everyone ran to the neighborhoods hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy.
22. They gave out food and supplies.
27. And helped move garbage and debris.
30. Sometimes people just wanted to talk.
31. Everyone was happy to have the marathoners on Staten Island.
- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said he's voting for Hillary Clinton, joining a growing list of top-ranking Republicans who are breaking rank.
- Apple's annual sales have fallen for the first time in 15 years... but the company still makes $100M every day 🍎📉
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️