Skip To Content

    After Finding Out Mid-Wedding That Her Groom Was Unwell, This Bride Married A Wedding Guest Instead

    The bride was allegedly furious that the groom’s family kept his epilepsy a secret from her, and in anger said she would “happily marry a guest at the wedding". The wedding took place in Rampur, India.

    It was like any other wedding ceremony in India, where 25-year-old Jugal Kishore was to wed 23-year-old Indira.

    Representational stock image via ThinkStock

    But once the varmala ceremony – where the groom garlands his wife to be – started, the groom suddenly had an epileptic fit, and fell to the ground.

    Representational stock image via ThinkStock / Getty Images

    Multiple news outlets reported that the bride, upon realising that the groom and his family had kept this serious medical condition from her, was furious. In her angered state, she allegedly declared that she would happily marry Harpal Singh, one of the guests at the wedding. The reports further state that Singh, incidentally, was her sister's brother-in-law.

    Singh, dressed in a leather jacket and jeans, was completely taken aback by the strange situation, and after a bit of hesitation, declared that he would willingly marry Indira.

    The ceremony continued with the substitution of grooms, Singh and Indira together participating in the varmala ceremony, after which the pandit, officiating the ceremony, recited the mantras and asked the new couple to take the seven pheras, a ritual in Hindu weddings in which the couple make several rounds around a sacred fire.

    Kishore, meanwhile, had been rushed to the hospital, and when he regained consciousness, returned to find his fiancée already wed.

    The Times of India reported that Kishore requested that Indira reconsider her decision, for fear that he wouldn't be able to face anyone after this ordeal. His relatives also interjected, and soon the scene turned violent, with plates and cutlery being used as weapons as guests aggressively tried to change Indira's mind.

    The woman allegedly stood by her decision.

    An FIR was later filed at the Milak police station in Rampur district by the groom's family, but it was reportedly withdrawn soon after. Local police chief RP Solanki said, "Both families have amicably resolved the matter." He added, "The complaints have been withdrawn. Kishore and his family have now returned in peace to Moradabad."