1. Kerala was the first Indian state to achieve 100% primary education.
2. The state has managed to control the population growth rate, making it the lowest among all Indian states in the last ten years.
3. Oh, and the life expectancy is the highest.
4. Kerala has achieved an Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) of 6 per 1,000 live births, which is comparable to any developed nation.
5. In fact, it holds the distinction of being the world's first "Baby Friendly State" by WHO and UNICEF because of its efforts to decrease infant deaths and diseases, and its support of breastfeeding.
6. In 2015, the Kerala government announced a policy to protect the rights of transgender individuals, becoming the first state to do so.
7. Following up in 2016, the state began setting up a separate court for the welfare and justice of the transgender community.
9. It will be the first state in India to start maintaining a registry for sex offenders to ensure the safety of women.
10. After setting the record for lowest alcohol consumption in 2015, Kerala bettered it in 2016.
11. Women are the highest daily wage earners in non-public, urban jobs in the state.
12. Kerala is a complete digital state.
13. The state literally has fewer number of children in adoption centres than couples wanting to adopt them.
14. Even though the female-to-male sex ratio is the highest in the entire country...
15. Keralites prefer to not give into India's age-old thinking of wanting sons. Most couples in Kerala want to adopt girls.
16. And of course, it's still one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Andre Borges is a social news reporter for BuzzFeed and is based in Mumbai.
Contact Andre Borges at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.