3. In an interview with BuzzFeed News, Friday writer and star Ice Cube said he’s pleasantly surprised about the movie’s enduring legacy.
“For the theaters, for New Line [Cinema], for the fans to want to pay homage to the movie in this way is cool,” he said. “It lets you know how much people appreciate it and how much fun it is … and it lets you know that Friday is now a part of the American fabric.”
The one-night-only rerelease will feature a special director’s cut of Friday and will also include “Friday Straight Up,” a 24-minute featurette with behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the movie and interviews with the cast.
4. On April 14, the Friday soundtrack, which was the No. 1 album in the U.S. for two weeks in 1995 and eventually went double platinum, will also get the anniversary treatment and have a vinyl reissue.
The soundtrack, which featured several classic R&B tracks as well as contemporary hip-hop, and generated a hit of its own with Dr. Dre’s “Keep Their Heads Ringin’,” is another aspect of Friday that makes Ice Cube is proud.
“I remember picking these songs and thinking, No one’s used ‘Mary Jane’ by Rick James in a movie? This is going to be perfect,” he said. “You usually don’t get the Isley Brothers and a fresh Dr. Dre song. It was a really special labor of love.”
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Jay Z is set to hold a get out the vote concert for Hillary Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing black voters.
- The UK government has backed a third runway at London's Heathrow Airport, saying it'll benefit the the country's economy ✈️
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏