47 Cheap Ways To Change Up Your Beauty Routine
Effective skincare that doesn't cost upwards of $189k is my heaven.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Moisturized hands = less hangnails, better cuticles, and a better at-home manicure. These moisturizing gloves are infused with collagen and shea butter and are a cheaper alternative to the bougie manicure you almost splurged on.
2. Learning when to apply what is the 🔑 to skincare success because it effects the performance of each product. For example, applying eye cream *after* your moisturizer will decrease the effectiveness of the eye cream. So in conclusion: Study the below order. Memorize the below order. Live by the below order.
3. Upgrade your lash game with a clump-free, cruelty-free, smudge-proof Vivienne Sabó volumizing mascara. One coat gives you the whole "your lashes but better" look, but two coats? Everyone will just assume you're wearing falsies. It's that good.
4. Repeat after me: Toner. This post-cleansing product ensures that your pores have been cleared of *all* the gunk your face wash missed, plus it helps balance your skins pH. Opt for an alcohol-free formula (this Neutrogena alcohol-free toner is fab and costs less than $4) to ensure your face isn't stripped of moisture.
5. Combat scarring and cystic acne indentations by incorporating a micro needle roller into the mix. This specific model is more affordable than other rollers on the market (we’re talking an $80 difference) but equally as effective. #bless
6. Small changes often have the *biggest* impact when it comes to managing breakouts. Acne-causing bacteria loves to rest on your pillowcase, cell phone, and towel — so while I know that laundry day is a dreaded occasion, prioritize cleaning/swapping surfaces that your face comes in contact with every day.
7. Enlist the help of Londontown Kur correcting polish if you have *absolutely had it up to here* with smudges. Enough is enough! Sheet marks and digging into your purse before lacquer has completely dried will no longer be your burden to bear. Fresh manicures await.
9. If you want a bright complexion that requires exactly zero effort, then try some L'Oreal ~glotion~. This glycerin- and shea butter-infused formula is super lightweight and hydrating, while an illuminating tint adds instant illumination.
10. Minimize 'do damage by drying your hair with a cotton t-shirt, a gentle alternative to your blow dryer that's also a superstar when it comes to preventing frizz.
11. Speaking of healthy hair, follow these simple rules when it comes to growing it out — trim often (these cutting shears are great for at-home trims), switch up hairstyles to prevent consistent breakage at the same spots, and keep it moisturized (let's get a round of applause for this Garnier leave-in conditioning cream).
12. Use Vaseline if you're tired of waking up to yesterday's makeup smeared all over your pillowcase. This tub of tried-and-true petroleum jelly is here to get rid of all the mascara (even the waterproof kind) that your cleanser left behind.
13. Give matte formulas a break! Glossier's Lip Gloss is packed with vitamin e and jojoba oil for maximum shine and moisture, but thankfully *none* of the typical stickiness (#ew) that comes along with most glosses.
14. Adult acne is garbage and according to reviewers, this Eva Naturals face serum genuinely helps. Ingredients like hyaluronic acid, retinol, aloe, salicylic acid, and niacinamide work in harmony to solve your most annoying skin problems — say goodbye to everything from acne and dark spots to dehydration and redness.
15. Invest in a dual-ended eyeliner stamp because, despite your best efforts, achieving the perfect cat eye is hard and this easy-to-use tool makes it about 1000x easier. All you'll have to do is apply the stamp to your lashline and your wing will be done in mere seconds. You won't even have to waste 10 makeup wipes and several years of your life in order to achieve it.
16. Before shopping for any new products, take a quick skin-identity quiz to determine whether your skin is actually dry or just dehydrated (there's a difference). Questions regarding everything from stress levels to daily routine will allow you to more accurately pin down your skin type and, as a result, the most beneficial routine.
17. Prep your lids with Elizabeth Mott eye primer, which is capable of keeping your shadow and liner in tact all 👏 day 👏 long 👏. That's right, folks! No creasing, smudging, fallout, or crying under the watch of this cruelty-free must-have.
18. Pantene treatment ampoules are dubbed ~rescue shots~ because they bring dried, fried, dead hair back to life. Pro-vitamin b5 guarantees a deep condition, repairing split-ends and leaving a shiny, frizz-free 'do behind.
19. Blush is tricky because just one swipe can result in an unnaturally Barbie pink cheek, which is where this gel-cream blush shines: it’s got a buildable formula that allows you to manipulate the color to be as subtle or as prominent as you want.
21. Premature popping leads to scarring, so stop. picking. at. your. zits. Instead, make your own spot treatment by mixing a spoonful of baking soda and a bit of water to form a thick, acne-fighting paste.
22. Or! Slap on a hydrocolloid Hero Cosmetics pimple patch to prevent picking and speed up the ~draining~ zit process. Another ding ding we have a winner feature is that these transparent stickers won't leave behind any residue on your pillow (which is not the case for most spot treatments).
23. Banish frizz and protect your 'do by using a heat protectant spray every 👏 single 👏 time 👏 you apply heat. Every straightening or curing sesh should begin with this argan, coconut, and olive oil blend to prevent damage and maximize shine.
24. If you're sick of razor bumps, Eos shave cream is here to help: it's packed with vitamins E and C, shea butter, natural aloe, and natural oats that won't cause irritation. This inexpensive gem has over 1,700 positive reviews and is lauded for its rich lather, moisturizing properties, and three scent options that are nothing short of divine (vanilla, lavender, and pomegranate raspberry).
25. Kick your acne and oily t-zone to the curb with an oil-free, soap-free La Roche-Posay foaming gel. For a matte complexion that stays matte throughout the entire day, this morning and night cleanser is destined to become your new holy grail.
26. So, Amika blowout mist was definitely voted most likely to succeed in its high school yearbook. This affordable BB is truly a one-stop-shop for all your haircare concerns: it provides volume, adds texture, helps preserve style, and is even packed with Provitamin B5 to minimize breakage *and* provide heat protection.
28. Nip brassiness in the bud with a cult-favorite Fanola purple shampoo. The violet pigment in this formula works to wash away unwanted yellow in your 'do, meaning you can extend the time between salon visits meaning you can SAVE A TON OF MONEY. Easy + affordable? Someone pinch me.
29. Lean on caffeine to de-puff your peepers and reduce pesky dark circles (because beauty sleep = overrated, am I right?). Luxe eye creams usually cost around a trillion dollars, so finding a holy grail like this ~$10 one from The Inkey List feels like striking gold.
30. Heal breakouts and absorb excess oil (we love a twofer) with this Mario Badescu powder, which is destined to become your new holy grail if you're pimple-prone and want some coverage. This sulfur-based formula will mattify and reduce redness, but won't clog pores in the process.
31. I know, I know, you've already heard it a million times: drink eight glasses of water a day. But let's make it a million and one: HYDRATE. Making sure you consume enough H20 will brighten up your complexion and increase your skin's elasticity.
32. Seek products with hyaluronic acid if you have dry *or* oily skin. This holy grail ingredient prevents excess oil production, adds hydration, and gives your skin a boost of brightness all with a few taps — the Cosmedica hyaluronic acid serum is a great way to try said holy grail for cheap.
33. For all the coverage but none of the cake, Maybelline liquid foundation is truly *chef's kiss*. It feels thick upon application, but melts into your skin like butter for a creaseless finish that also prevents excess shine.
34. Coty translucent powder will set your makeup for a flawless, lightweight finish that truly lasts all day long. This is great (especially for makeup newbies!) because it goes on clear and won't leave behind a white cast that you'd have to blend and blend and blend.
35. Dress up your wrinkled white tee with some bold color. This cruelty-free wet 'n' wild liquid lipstick glides on like butter, lasts all day long, won't bleed, and costs about the same amount of $$$ as your cup of morning coffee.
36. Presenting an easy way to groom your brows if you're done with the pains of plucking and expense of waxing: the Schick dermaplaning razor. This gentle tool rids stray hairs and unwanted peach fuzz, all while removing the dead skin build-up complexion on your complexion.
37. This L’Oreal lamellar treatment makes good on its promise of shine, shine, shine. It banishes dullness in eight seconds flat, giving your mane all that lustrous bounce but thankfully *none* of the weigh-down.
38. Add extra exfoliation to your daily cleanser via a Grace & Stella spin brush. This waterproof, rechargeable brush ~spins~ away dead skin cells and removes all the built-up gunk trapped in your pores — the kind you wouldn't be able to get rid of with just your hands.
39. If you're tired of your liquid liner fading before your second cup of coffee (#rude), then you probably should have invested in NYX liquid eyeliner, like, yesterday. This stuff seriously will not budge, plus the skinny felt tip makes cay eye precision a breeze.
40. Exfoliate (and I mean, *really* exfoliate) even the most tired tootsies with cult-favorite Baby Foot. Get ready to break out the sandals, folks, because your feet are about to get the ultimate spa treatment.
41. Skin, meet glycolic acid: a one-stop shop for exfoliation. These vegan Bliss resurfacing pads ~peel~ off dead skin cells with just one swipe and, thanks to the slow release of glycolic acid, will help reduce fine lines, even out discoloration, and improve brightness — and unlike your typical peel, these pads contain witch hazel, licorice, and calendula flower extract to keep irritation at bay.
42. Masking = not just for nighttime. This SkinFood mask is perfect for your a.m. routine due to an immediate brightening effect that'll make it look like you *actually* got your beauty sleep last night! It also smells divine thanks to an ingredient trio of black sugar, strawberry seeds, and strawberry seed oil.
43. Tackle pimples, redness, and dark circles with the vegan and cruelty-free Covergirl concealer; it's designed with an ~extra large~ applicator that will require nothing more than a single swipe. This formula provides a full coverage finish that is lightweight, crease-resistant, and super easy to blend.
44. Opt for a gel-based moisturizer if your combination skin is the worst of both worlds: both dry *and* oily. Gel moisturizers provide instant relief for dry patches, but are lightweight enough to balance out the excess oil on your t-zone (reviewers swear by this one from Garnier).
45. Put down the disposable wipes and look toward greener pastures, i.e. the eco-friendly Makeup Eraser. This seemingly simple cloth actually swipes off all your makeup when combined with a bit of water — and yes, that includes waterproof mascara.
46. On an extra tight budget? Make like a high school sleepover and DIY your own face mask using stuff that's already in your kitchen. Be sure to focus on formulas that tackle your specific skin concerns: For example, canned pumpkin + brown sugar + vitamin E oil = great for soothing red, blotchy skin.
47. Fact: Polishing your nails is difficult, but taking care of your cuticles is not. If your cuticles look like they were mauled by a wild animal, it's time to start using Solaroil — this effective formula is what spinach is to Popeye in that it'll help your nails grow strong (with very little effort required on your part).
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.