35 Basic Makeup Products You'll Probably Use Every Single Day
All hail lip balms that are actually effective.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A cruelty-free wet 'n' wild liquid lipstick that glides on like butter, lasts all day long, won't bleed, and costs about the same amount of $$$ as your cup of morning coffee. We love the power of a bold red lip.
2. The Balm water-resistant mascara with a clump-free, lengthening formula here to upgrade your lash game. One coat gives you the whole "your lashes but better" look, but two coats? Everyone will just assume you're wearing falsies. It's that good.
3. A cruelty-free Elizabeth Mott brow gel because the eyes aren’t the window to the soul...the eyebrows are. This pomade formula will keep your brows in place while subtly filling them in, immediately giving your ensemble an air of ~I am put together can’t you see my brows look good~. The best part? It's so easy. No expert drawing skills required (unlike your regular brow pencil).
4. A Milani baked bronzer to give your complexion an instant “I just got back from vacation and have not spent a ton of time in this dimly-lit cubicle glow” while also enhancing your cheekbones.
5. A NYX setting spray to lock in your makeup, because it only took about three hours of blending to get it to look this way. So humidity, sweat, tears: it's all irrelevant when you've topped your foundation with this magic stuff, which works to seal your makeup and prevent it from turning into a greasy mess (no small feat).
6. Gel-cream blush available in six gorgeous shades ranging from sunny corals to brownish nudes. Blush is tricky because just one swipe can result in an unnaturally Barbie pink cheek, which is where this formula shines: it’s got a buildable formula that allows you to manipulate the color to be as subtle or as prominent as you want.
7. Lanolips strawberry ointment you should apply before bed and voilà! You'll wake up to a nourished pout that has effectively bid adieu to flakes.
8. A cruelty-free EcoTools set packed with five brushes you'll use on the daily: an angled foundation brush, a concealer brush, an eyeshadow brush, an angled liner brush, and a blush brush. All for less than $10? HALLE- and I cannot stress this enough-LUJAH.
9. A Maybelline concealer formulated with goji berry and Haloxyl because no one needs to know that you binged The Office yet again last night. Just a quick swipe of this (there's an attached sponge applicator so no need to worry about packing a brush) and *poof* your dark circles are now a thing of the past.
10. A Coty translucent powder that will set your makeup for a flawless, lightweight finish that truly lasts all day long. The formula sets completely clear and won't leave behind a white cast (the kind you'd have to blend and blend for it to go away).
11. A buildable concealer that tackles dark circles and blemishes without looking too obvious. It's *the* perfect thing to slap on when you don't want a full face of makeup, but also did not get enough sleep last night and want the world to think you did.
12. A gluten- and cruelty-free Essence mascara that has a clump-free, smudge-proof formula here to up your lash game like whoa. Plus, it costs less than $5. Praise be.
13. A Stila liquid eyeliner with a formula worthy of the cult-like praise it gets: it dries quickly, won't smudge or budge, lasts 25 hours a day, and the thin tip makes application a summer breeze. Say hello to your new soulmate.
14. A Tarte liquid foundation to banish blemishes, redness, and dark circles to the pits of Hades. The coverage is non-drying, long-lasting, and absolutely flawless...but it still manages to look lightweight and natural. Now repeat after me: Owen Wilson WOW.
15. A Farmacy lip balm for long-lasting hydration that *won't* eventually dry out your lips even more. I know that you know what I'm talking about — and this 100% natural formula of beeswax, jojoba oil, honey, cupuaçu, and cocoa butters genuinely works.
16. A dual-ended eyeliner stamp because, IN SPITE OF YOUR BEST EFFORTS, achieving the perfect cat eye is hard and this easy-to-use tool makes it about 1000x easier. All you'll have to do is apply the stamp to your lashline and your wing will be done in mere seconds.
17. A Pawpaw two-in-one pot you'll consider *major* bang for your buck: it's got a sugar lip scrub to slough away dead skin, plus a nourishing lip balm made with Pawpaw, olive oil, and aloe vera.
18. An Elizabeth Mott eye primer capable of keeping your shadow and liner in tact all 👏 day 👏 long 👏. That's right, folks! No creasing, smudging, fallout, or crying under the watch of this cruelty-free must-have.
19. A beautyblender sponge to condense your many brushes into just one product. This squishy BB can be used for everything from concealer to setting powder when damp, all while providing a natural finish that is (*IMPORTANT*) not blotchy. It truly blends everything to perfection so that you don't have spots of cake-y, oompa loompa orange scatted across your cheekbones.
20. A Charlotte Tilbury tinted moisturizer that provides a sun-kissed glow, hydration, *and* actively blurs pores and hides redness. This even takes away the headache of finding your perfect color match: the product comes out white and adjusts to perfectly suit your skin (especially awesome for someone who just went on a beach vacation and their go-to makeup is now just a teeny bit too light).
21. A Neutrogena moisture lipstick you can apply in the back of a moving car, no mirror, hand jittery from one too many cold brews — and application will still be easy thanks to the crayon design and creamy, blendable formula that won't stain your skin if you color outside of the lines.
22. A Touch In Sol primer that uses green tea extracts to energize your complexion, blur pores, mattify excess oil, and offer light coverage (#goodbye redness). This is the perfect step one for a full-face routine consisting of concealer and foundation, but is also great to slather on when you're pressed for time and want a bright, dewy, and even canvas.
23. A Lipstick Queen lipstick packaged in deceivingly green form, but surprise! It has nothing in common with Kermit. This moisturizing formula will reveal a perfectly pink hue within seconds, one that's totally unique to *your* pH balance, but thankfully goes on as easily as a regular balm.
24. A bareMinerals tinted moisturizer that requires the max amount of effort you're willing to put into your beauty routine, which is exactly zero. Nix shadows and unevenness by way of this light, creamy coverage you can slather on like a moisturizer!
25. A vegan and cruelty-free Covergirl concealer designed with an ~extra large~ applicator that tackles pimples, redness, and dark circles with just one swipe. If you're looking to avoid the painstaking step of foundation, this formula provides a full coverage finish that is both lightweight, crease-resistant, and super easy to blend.
26. A buildable, cruelty-free NYX lip cream that, although it *is* super pigmented, is also light enough that it won't have stained the delicate skin around your mouth. If precision is not your strong suit, invest in this product ASAP.
27. An Aesthetica contouring kit here to take your hand and lead you into the path of chiseled cheekbones. This vegan, cruelty-free, and hypoallergenic palette includes a handy how-to guide (pictures and charts included!) to help this makeup technique seem 10000000x less intimidating to those of us who don't run a beauty vlog.
28. A Nars lip pencil for anyone ready to retire all the drying matte formulas they've gotten accustomed to. This glides on like butter, is ultra hydrating, lasts a super long time, and is easy as pie to apply.
29. A Real Techniques sculpting brush that gets the grade of A+ when it comes to blending for a streak-free complexion. This is an absolute gem when it comes to evenly spreading highlighter, setting powder, and even allows you to dabble in the complicated world of contouring: it spreads product evenly to give you ~chiseled cheekbones~ that don't look like they were attacked by a block of bronzer.
30. A Clinique BB cream with a buildable, lightweight formula that won't worsen breakouts and feels like a second skin. Added bonus: This has SPF40, which means you'll be getting protection *and* coverage all in one swipe.
31. A Tweezerman curler that curls your lashes in a ~pinch~, is designed with an ergonomic handle that feels sturdy in your hand, and has a hypoallergenic silicone pad to prevent any tugging or pulling which makes the whole process a breeze for beginners.
32. A Pat McGrath MatteTrance lipstick so lightweight, it'll feel like you're wearing nothing (as if your lips are just naturally a bright fuchsia). And while that is all fine and dandy and grand, let me present you with the pièce de résistance of this product: the packaging.
33. A Laura Mercier foundation with blendable, medium-to-full coverage that creates a flawless complexion *without* making your face feel like it's drowning in product. This matte formula has a staying power of 15 hours, contains fine powders to help you ditch your greasy T-zone, and is completely transfer-resistant. Pinch me.
34. A Sephora Collection matte lipstick that may appear ultra matte, BUT! It won't dry out/clump/wrinkle on your lips after .5 seconds of wear. This lipstick uses rose hip oil and vitamin B to prevent your lips from shriveling up, which is exactly what many matte formulas tend to do.
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.