1. This is Laura Jane Grace.
She’s the transsexual lead singer of the punk band Against Me! MTV’s House of Style dispatched model Joan Smalls to visit her at home and check out her closet.
2. This black Mossimo for Target dress is the first thing Laura Jane wore into the world as a woman.
She was on her way to a meeting with her therapist.
3. In high school, Laura Jane struggled to keep her hair super-spiked in her native Florida’s humidity.
Even though she mostly wore dirty jeans, she says, “I was still going home at night and washing my face with Clinique. There’s no reason you can’t be punk and have good skin.”
4. Now, Laura Jane lives with her wife and daughter in suburbia.
“I’m overwhelmed by the amount of support my wife gave me,” she says. “It’s awesome.”
5. This is Laura Jane’s closet.
The left half is her wife’s, the right half is hers. Sometimes her wife’s stuff encroaches on her space.
6. Before her transition, she rocked out like this:
7. Now, she rocks out like this:
Since her transition, Laura Jane says lot of transsexual men and women now stick around after their shows to meet and talk to her.
H/t The Cut.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- US Soccer suspended Hope Solo for 6 months after she called Sweden's team "cowards" during the Rio Olympics ❌⚽️
- Donald Trump's campaign paid a Barnes & Noble $55,055 to buy more than 3,500 hardcover copies of his book.