1. This is Laura Jane Grace.
She’s the transsexual lead singer of the punk band Against Me! MTV’s House of Style dispatched model Joan Smalls to visit her at home and check out her closet.
2. This black Mossimo for Target dress is the first thing Laura Jane wore into the world as a woman.
She was on her way to a meeting with her therapist.
3. In high school, Laura Jane struggled to keep her hair super-spiked in her native Florida’s humidity.
Even though she mostly wore dirty jeans, she says, “I was still going home at night and washing my face with Clinique. There’s no reason you can’t be punk and have good skin.”
4. Now, Laura Jane lives with her wife and daughter in suburbia.
“I’m overwhelmed by the amount of support my wife gave me,” she says. “It’s awesome.”
5. This is Laura Jane’s closet.
The left half is her wife’s, the right half is hers. Sometimes her wife’s stuff encroaches on her space.
6. Before her transition, she rocked out like this:
7. Now, she rocks out like this:
Since her transition, Laura Jane says lot of transsexual men and women now stick around after their shows to meet and talk to her.
H/t The Cut.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Jay Z is holding a concert for Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing a group she's struggled to excite: black voters. 🎤
- Girl Scout cookies for breakfast: General Mills says a cereal will be released in January 😋